Southbend Hydros

cumminalltheway

Need some help with southbend hydros, driving yesterday and pushed in the pedal and it broke free from the firewall. Did some research and found that southbend made a new bracket to fix this problem. My hydros are roughly 5yrs old. How can I fix this, buy new hydro set up or can I replace the master cylinder? Thanks

As far as I know, you can't replace just the master. Just buy the new setup from either Southbend or Dan Vallance. I had a SBC but it was before I knew about Dan. I'm sure either will suffice. They come as one piece, pre-bled. Two bolts on the firewall and one or two in the slave IIRC. You should be able to do it in about 30 min if you have someone help you fish it around all the chit around the hood. The spring clip on the pedal is a bastard so be prepared to cuss. I use a little pair of needle-nose pliers with bend tips.

Personally, I'd go ahead and buy a new set up.

Why not just replace the master? It has been said before that they use a factory master cylinder (I usually get one for a 97 dodge 5spd). To my understanding these HD hydro kits are factory master/slave with a braided steel line and an adjustable rod on the master. Both of those can be swapped into a new master cylinder. $70 for a master is a lot cheaper than a whole new HD kit.

I broke mine as well. They were the new design that broke. I called south bend and he cut me some slack on a new set. He kept saying it was installed wrong, but it wasn't.

How can you install it wrong? It is only two bolts. Maybe he is saying you guys set the pedal to high and ram the plunger to the bottom and it breaks lose? I'm a short schidt so I had mine pretty high, but I never rammed it to the floor either. Is that the problem?

How can you install it wrong? It is only two bolts. Maybe he is saying you guys set the pedal to high and ram the plunger to the bottom and it breaks lose? I'm a short schidt so I had mine pretty high, but I never rammed it to the floor either. Is that the problem?

I don't know how it could be installed wrong either. That's just what he kept telling me and I told him no way, but whatever I had to buy another set. I'm 6'3" so I have mine as low as I can.

Back