sp500 timing kit not working

gatorskinseats5

215 pump pin timed, dial indicator adapter seated, dial indicator seat completely in the adapter and set screwed in place and the dial indicator doesn't move at all when rotating the engine.. what gives? I cant set my timing if the dial indicator isn't reading anything. I even tried to extend the dial indicator stem at the bottom and loosen the top to further drop the step into the plunger and it still reads nothing. im not sure where to go from here. just paid 220 dollars for a tool that doesn't work

1) Is the pump turning with the engine?
2) Is the dial reaching far enough down? (should be out the bottom of the adapter over an inch)
3) Is the dial free to move when its seated in place?

A drain plug drilled out with a 1" stroke dial is all you need to do plunger lift, if this setup fails you.

Did you already pull the gear free from the shaft of the pump? Stupid question but I could see it happening!

If you remove the indicator from the sleeve and measure it with the tip screwed on it should be about 2 7//8" long.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
i feel pretty dumb guys lol I had to leave my truck apart last night because its a 24v with no engine timing pin and I have to read tdc from the cam gear and cranbk to get accurate timing..(and I have to replace me front cover cause it was bent, not sealing, and leaking but anyway)... checked snap ons picture of it on the website and noticed the indicator stem was way longer and black. well, went in the garage and looked all around the tool cart and found the extension I need just chillin in the tool cart. Im not sure where it came from cause I looked through that whole kit like 5 times before I even used it. looked through it for like 30 min once I got it cause I get stoked about new useful tools, and I don't remember seeing it at all. but now I have it and it should work lol

that's what pissed me off the most was the thought of snap on not giving me the right or enough tools and me having to put off finishing my truck til they made it right. but it was me who messed up lol

when i got my first sp500... the extension did not come in the kit, argued with the dealer till he found it stuck in the floor of his truck

Back