Speed sensor in 98 2500

dieselracer07

I'm swapping out the rear axle in my truck tomorrow for one with 3:54s. I'm not familiar with the speedometer function on these. Will it read right with this axle? It still has the sensor on the chunk.

Sent from my paperweight

If your changing gearing, doesn't the plastic gear on the transfer case give output for speedometer.?. I thought the sensor on the pumpkin was for abs, cruise control operation.
Edit: sorry if I read your questions wrong brother.

Last edited:
If your changing gearing, doesn't the plastic gear on the transfer case give output for speedometer.?. I thought the sensor on the pumpkin was for abs, cruise control operation.
Edit: sorry if I read your questions wrong brother.

There's no sensor on my t-case. I believe that was for 94-95 models with a 47rh trans. Mine doesn't have abs either.

Sent from my paperweight

There's no sensor on my t-case. I believe that was for 94-95 models with a 47rh trans. Mine doesn't have abs either.

Sent from my paperweight

Any 241 dld I've ever seen on 94 to 97 has had that speed sensor in it. I didn't look at your sig. Didn't know you had a 98.

What year axle are you putting in? 98-02 have a tone ring bolted to the ring.

Your current one does not have a tone ring??? Where's it getting a speedo reading then? My 98 has one I just assumed it was for the speedo

Your current one does not have a tone ring??? Where's it getting a speedo reading then? My 98 has one I just assumed it was for the speedo

IIRC I don't remember seeing one on mine the last time I had the cover off. I could be mistaken tho. I'll find out for sure tomorrow. I just looked at the top of the diff and there is for sure a sensor there in the same exact spot as the axle I picked up.

Sent from my paperweight

98 12v and newer models will use rear axle abs tone ring signal for speedo

I actually just ordered a sensor yesterday for my 98 12v. Its listed as an ABS sensor and is mounted at 12 o'clock on the diff. I also have a d80 if it makes any difference.

Back