Speedo/odometer problems

gpasbinder

IH Enthusiast
So I lost the speedometer and odometer this morning on the way to work in my 95 4x4. Pulled the dash to check connections, cleaned the batteries, and checked the wires to the speed sensors and still no affect. The truck isn't throwing any codes. Wasn't sure if I should just start replacing sensors without the codes or what to do. Any ideas?

I pulled the gear out of the back of the T-case yesterday. Sensor came out without the gear and shaft attached. I put it back together but still not working. Parts are on order and hopefully that will fix it

Did you make sure the gear housing was properly clocked? The speedo gears comes off pretty easily, espically when removing the housing. My dead speedo turned out to be a bad clocking. I put a new speed sensor on and had an innermedient speedo at first until it stopped completely one day. After reclocking, all has been well.

I put it back to same way it came ouch after reattaching everything. I guess I'm not 100% sure if you are meaning reclocking the sensor itself in the case?

I put it back to same way it came ouch after reattaching everything. I guess I'm not 100% sure if you are meaning reclocking the sensor itself in the case?

Yeah, the gear housing is offset so rotating it will make the gear line up differently on the t-case output shaft. Its wierd, my speedo was working and then acting up so I assumed it was clocked fine. After it stopped working, I reclocked it and it works fine now.

Yeah, the gear housing is offset so rotating it will make the gear line up differently on the t-case output shaft. Its wierd, my speedo was working and then acting up so I assumed it was clocked fine. After it stopped working, I reclocked it and it works fine now.

Well I will definitely be trying that tomorrow!

Well reclocking didn't work... However, I put it into a drill and tried to see if the speedo would register with no luck. So I'm pretty sure that it's the sensor itself, should be here tomorrow with any luck.

Got it fixed today, it was the speed sensor on the back of the t-case. $25 part and 15 minutes and was back to normal.

Back