Spider gears

BigB82789

I have a feeling I'll get a good response form this section of the site.

Those that have broken spider gears, cross pins and the like, where did you get new spiders and cross pins from.

It seems like every picture I look at shows 2 side gears and 2 spiders, and a straight pin. I need 4 spiders, side gears are ok, and a cross pin.

I found this site that states "Spider Gear Kit, All Dana 80, 35 spline, Includes side gears, pinion gears, thrust washers, x-pin shaft, roll pin."

http://www.justdifferentials.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=390_391_426&products_id=1798

I have 3 spiders here that arent damaged, I need one more and a cross pin. I don't have the money for a new diff and its street driven, so no spool for me.

I have a feeling I'll get a good response form this section of the site.

Those that have broken spider gears, cross pins and the like, where did you get new spiders and cross pins from.

It seems like every picture I look at shows 2 side gears and 2 spiders, and a straight pin. I need 4 spiders, side gears are ok, and a cross pin.

I found this site that states "Spider Gear Kit, All Dana 80, 35 spline, Includes side gears, pinion gears, thrust washers, x-pin shaft, roll pin."

http://www.justdifferentials.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=390_391_426&products_id=1798

i just did that to mine and broke a axle shaft but i bet if you broke one spider gear the rest are about to go mine are all stress cracked

I broke an axle shaft and 2 spiders in my 70. Now I have 3 spiders in the 80 broken.

Anybody know where I can get this stuff? I really need to find this.

ring-pinion.com

You'll go through them like crazy until you do it right and put a detroit locker in it though.

I'd like a detroit but don't have the money at the moment. If I call them I can order indiviual parts that I need?

I tried ringpinion.com and no luck everywhere I called said they were dicontinued:doh: And I haven't been able to find any single parts.

I tried ringpinion.com and no luck everywhere I called said they were dicontinued:doh: And I haven't been able to find any single parts.

DITTO. They told me the 4 spider carrier is discontinued and parts are not available.

I guess thats possible, I haven't ordered spider gears from them in 2+ years..

Dana quit making parts for them. I tried to find some last year and had no luck. So I bought a Detroit Locker.

Thats what i found out today too. Next question.Detroit locker or tru-trac?

The truck see street duty everyday (when its not broke) and doubles as a puller/ drag racer. I don't want a spool or anything thats locked going around turns/corners.

Try quad4x4.com up in Montana - Dan is VERY knowledgable about drivelines in general and Dana in particular.

If you're breaking 4-spider Power-Locs in a D80 (or older D70), be sure the differential bearings are shimmed correctly. D70 bearings wear out the machined face inside the cast housing, and even D80s with the hardened washers that seat the bearings aren't immune to wear.

Just swapped another D80 diff a couple weeks ago with excessive bearing/housing clearance... all 4 spiders were nothing but shrapnel.

This was three spiders, and this time I didn't have a hand in the breakage. I got F'd.

I personally would run the TrueTrac on a street truck. But if you are a little more aggressive then I would stick with the locker.

Let me know if you need pricing on either. We deal through Randy's...you'll save money.

- Jesse
239.337.LIFT

Back