Sponsorship

injected79

Hey guys, im not sure if im posting this in the right spot or not so if not let me know and i'll get it changed.

Okay back to my question,

I am interested in taking my truck to the next level, but in order to do that i will need some sort of sponsorship behind me to help. I am looking at building it for the 2.6 nadm class. My question for you is how should i go about finding company's that would be interested in backing the truck. I am willing to help the company out however i may. Any help is greatly appreciated .

Thanks Brandon

how far are you willing to travel? when i advertise the first thing they ask "where will my name be seen"

I would mainly be trying to stay in the tri-state area ohio, indiana and kentucky. If possible mostly ohio

start making alot of phone calls and start small. but most companies wont join in until after you u have started pulling and make a name for yourself. also you have to attend big events frequently(spelling)

I wish you all the luck but, it's no where near as easy as you may think. Especially with the economy in the state it's in... every one is tight with cash. As mentioned.... you really have to have already made some sort of name for yourself for anyone to even want to talk to you. Or, you just may get lucky with someone.

There's some good info in this thread from folks who answered me about it. Take a look at the link in my sig... it's one of the things that can help too but, definitely not the only thing.

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24645&highlight=question+sponsorship

Thanks Guys, I know it wont be easy but if im going to try to do this i have to get it a shot. I mean the worst thing anybody can say is no thanks

Its not as easy as it looks. You have to think of it from the potential sponsors point of view. Just mereley putting stickers on your truck & going out & having fun wont cut it. Rule #1.......If a sponsor gives you a $100.00. You need to find a way to be sure that the sponsor made back at least $101.00 or there would be no need for you......Rule #2 Watch your mouth. Just because a company has sponsored you doesnt make you the ambassador of the company & most already have a marketing strategy & you need to know what that is. Help them, dont hurt them......Rule #3 Do exactley what you said you would do...when you said you would do it. If for some reason you cant you had better be sure they know why & what you will do to make it up to them.....Rule #4 Keep them posted on what you are doing & where you are going, dont take the money & disappear but dont be a pest either,better yet show some demographics of the events that you attend....Rule #5 remember there are alot of guys out there that can do it just as good as you can & they would love to get your sponsorship for themselves, be proactive!! Rule #6.....Money back guarentee. Last year I gave a money back guarentee to all my sponsors & it read like this. "If you are un happy & you dont feel I did what I said I would do, then send me a bill for the products that you gave me".....Rule #7 Not all deals work out, & many will fall through, expect it. If they dont oh well, dont get an attitude.
These are some of the basics of getting sponsors, I hope it helps.

Its not as easy as it looks. You have to think of it from the potential sponsors point of view. Just mereley putting stickers on your truck & going out & having fun wont cut it. Rule #1.......If a sponsor gives you a $100.00. You need to find a way to be sure that the sponsor made back at least $101.00 or there would be no need for you......Rule #2 Watch your mouth. Just because a company has sponsored you doesnt make you the ambassador of the company & most already have a marketing strategy & you need to know what that is. Help them, dont hurt them......Rule #3 Do exactley what you said you would do...when you said you would do it. If for some reason you cant you had better be sure they know why & what you will do to make it up to them.....Rule #4 Keep them posted on what you are doing & where you are going, dont take the money & disappear but dont be a pest either,better yet show some demographics of the events that you attend....Rule #5 remember there are alot of guys out there that can do it just as good as you can & they would love to get your sponsorship for themselves, be proactive!! Rule #6.....Money back guarentee. Last year I gave a money back guarentee to all my sponsors & it read like this. "If you are un happy & you dont feel I did what I said I would do, then send me a bill for the products that you gave me".....Rule #7 Not all deals work out, & many will fall through, expect it. If they dont oh well, dont get an attitude.
These are some of the basics of getting sponsors, I hope it helps.

You hit the nail on the head very good advice.

Dale

Thats the kind of information i was looking for. Should i get an in-depth schedule typed up, and pictures to present to different companys. And how would you say would be the most correct way to approach a company on this subject? Thanks Again everybody

Type up a schedule, how many people you plan to see in the stands at each event. A list of objectives, a list of the reasons why they should sponsor you & not the next guy. Explain how & when they will see a return on their dollar. Remember, at this level you are running a marketing business & need to treat it that way. ;)

I would also like to add that you are not going to get these huge established companies to join you. Start small with some local shops(tire, performance, transmission). Maybe for your first year of sponsorship ask that they give you discounts in exchange for promoting them at events. After that first year, providing you made a name for yourself and have good turn out at the events, they will look into throwing some $ at you.

These guys above me are 100% right, times are hard right now and you are going to hear a lot of NOs. No one ever said you cant send another proposal for the next season. If this is something that you want really bad, these companies you talk to will see the determination, and at least think about it instead of brushing you off.

Good luck to you, I know where you are coming from in this situation.

We are always willing to help out pullers or racers out there.

Put together a schedule like John stated and send it on over to me and we can talk more about our sponsorship program. :rockwoot:

I would also like to add that you are not going to get these huge established companies to join you. Start small with some local shops(tire, performance, transmission). Maybe for your first year of sponsorship ask that they give you discounts in exchange for promoting them at events. After that first year, providing you made a name for yourself and have good turn out at the events, they will look into throwing some $ at you.

These guys above me are 100% right, times are hard right now and you are going to hear a lot of NOs. No one ever said you cant send another proposal for the next season. If this is something that you want really bad, these companies you talk to will see the determination, and at least think about it instead of brushing you off.

Good luck to you, I know where you are coming from in this situation.

I am sponsored by many and filter sponsorship requests for my clients. SmokinRam and John are right. The only thing I would add, ask if they have a format they need the information in. For us to make a decision, I need probably 10 fields of info from you. None of them are hard and nothing expensive, but that's what my clients need. So, if one if missing, I won't even waste my clients time with it.

Good luck.

All good advice, the best piece of advice I could give that has helped me the most, and I believe was mentioned above, would be to develop a clean looking professional compressive sponsorship package. Mail it to them, and then follow up in a couple weeks with a phone call to see if they had received your package and discuss it with them at that point or schedule a time that is convenient for them to discuss it. Don’t stop acting like a professional after you get there sponsorship, continue to carry yourself and your crew in a professional positive manner. Do your best to get your sponsors in the public eye and they will reward you accordingly. Remember your developing a professional relationship here one that could benefit you and your potential sponsors for years. Don’t make them look around and search to see what you have done for them but keep them informed throughout the year as to what you have done for them. I send out quarterly BBD News Letters to my sponsors high lighting accomplishments, event results, media releases, schedule changes, and what I am doing to further promote there business. Again you’re developing a professional relationship and it takes some hard work on your part. I have talked to several shop owners who got burned by folks who don’t treat this as professional relationship and I can’t blame them when they have bad taste in there mouth afterwards.

You have good start as you know how to spell the word sponsor :hehe: I get a kick out of the guy’s who start these types of threads and can’t even look into the correct spelling.

Good luck,

BBD

All good advice, the best piece of advice I could give that has helped me the most, and I believe was mentioned above, would be to develop a clean looking professional compressive sponsorship package. Mail it to them, and then follow up in a couple weeks with a phone call to see if they had received your package and discuss it with them at that point or schedule a time that is convenient for them to discuss it. Don’t stop acting like a professional after you get there sponsorship, continue to carry yourself and your crew in a professional positive manner. Do your best to get your sponsors in the public eye and they will reward you accordingly. Remember your developing a professional relationship here one that could benefit you and your potential sponsors for years. Don’t make them look around and search to see what you have done for them but keep them informed throughout the year as to what you have done for them. I send out quarterly BBD News Letters to my sponsors high lighting accomplishments, event results, media releases, schedule changes, and what I am doing to further promote there business. Again you’re developing a professional relationship and it takes some hard work on your part. I have talked to several shop owners who got burned by folks who don’t treat this as professional relationship and I can’t blame them when they have bad taste in there mouth afterwards.

You have good start as you know how to spell the word sponsor :hehe: I get a kick out of the guy’s who start these types of threads and can’t even look into the correct spelling.

Good luck,

BBD

Wow that grabbed my attention, that is great piece of advise!!!
Brandon

All good responses to the post - remember the sponsors are looking for exposure - number of people who will see their name or product!

Estimated Impressions!

Remember that! Example: You pull at a local pull with 1000 people watching and your photo appears in the local paper with 35,000 circulation. Plus NADM shows your truck on their web site or flyer.
Results: 1000 people watching, 35,000 circulation x 2.5 readership per paper, plus web site views, 25,000 EQUALS = 115,000 impressions!

Marketing companies are looking for numbers- who will see their name?
Even if you trailer your truck going down the highway - how many people estimated will see the side of the truck during a per mile trip?

I know it sounds unfounded but this is how the polls/market companies count their numbers when you see reports on marketing numbers.

That is why a national association gets you more exposure because we have setup national magazines, TV shows, and web sites to cover our events - MORE EXPOSURE!

Now start adding those numbers and tack on what the other guys said and put it on paper - then you have somewhere to start!

Ron

Good luck,

BBD

Scott is a great example of a person that we would sponsor and continue to sponsor. He goes above and beyond for his supporters. He, also, is a great grass roots promoter; constantly updating people, posting videos, pictures, helping others. All things to build him as a positive and trusted brand, one which companies can benefit by associating themselves with.

And don't forget about the appearance of your truck and your self and pitcrew and also the tow rig and trailer try to have matching shirts even if it is t,shirt that has the name of your pulling teem or your truck name on them.

Dale

Iv been trying to find a pulling schedule for next year, and im not having any luck. Is that something that is released yet or is nadm still working on it?

Just started working on it for next year! You can use this year's schedule as a guide but we are planning quite a few new ones in the OH, MO, IL and PA areas.

Keep checking with us but most likely Dec. before we have them set.

RK

Back