Spool in the front q's

Red_Rattler

High Tech Redneck
So, its been a rough year so far on my drivetrain. Long story short the rear has billet axles now and lincoln locked and I upgraded to a 35 spline axles and spool setup in the front with a one piece passenger shaft now. How much of a bear is this thing going to be moving around now? Is anyone using a single high strength lockout on one axle like the gas guys do? Or did I make a mistake in getting a one piece shaft and losing the slide collar?

I can't steer mine at all when the front end is locked up. I kept my slip collar for now.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

I would do locker with a one piece, spool with the collar. Just the 2 pulls with mine and a welded front end got old real quick.

It will be an absolute bear to steer. Only way I would do a spool in the front is if I had a full hydraulic steering setup. I recommend going with the 1 piece axle for sure as the collar is prone to failure and can be aggravating to get engaged or disengaged, but recommend some type of locker instead of the spool.

Last edited:
with a locked front my puller had a cable actuator, on my ford I did ram assist and have zero issues with it locked

If you do decide to spool it (or weld solid), check out westtexasoffroad and the redneck ram. My front is locked solid and I couldn't turn for chit. I bought the ram and mount from them, but tapped my own steering box and ran my own lines, now I can turn 33 x 12.5's in the pits no problem......

Wasn't that expensive either (under $200).

I watched a guy with a spool up front do 9 point turns most of the season, then finally broke the pitman arm off of the steering box.

As for slip joint strength, my driver side axle broke last weekend, the long slip joint axle held just fine. I was cheap and welded the carrier and use a cable actuator. So far so good

Have fun with that. My hydraulic steering did not like turning a spooled front with about 1200lbs on the front. Find a powerlock for it and don't look back.

I should have gave more details, he broke it while turning trying to get it hooked up to the sled.

I figured thats what you meant. That's hilarous! I know that would send me over the edge that I didnt even break going down the track.

Last edited:
I have lock outs on mine to steer it with the spool up front. Even with the hydraulic steering I have to unlock the hubs before I can turn off the track and if there is a tight turn on to the track I have to leave one hub unlocked and have someone lock it in once I get straight on the track. It's a pain. I'll be putting on drive hubs with a locker this winter.

So who makes a 2 piece 35 spline inner axle?

I don't think there is one, as the dodge used it on the 60's and the 60's in the dodges only got 30 or 32 spline, at least the second gen dodges.

Last edited:
I don't think there is one, as the dodge used it on the 60's and the 60's in the dodges only got 30 or 32 spline, at least the second gen dodges.

The only 35s I have seen are 1 piece and use a lockout or locker.

Last edited:
Well I aborted and I'm sending the shafts back till I get enough money to do it right. Just got done welding up the stock diff and its going back together with the stock 2 piece 30 splines.

Yukon grizzly locker and 35 spline axles. Didn't have any problems and could steer easily.

I run the Yukon locker and 35 spline shafts also, steering is fine.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

Back