Spool valve in a twin setup?

BigJoeDiesel74

I'm not sure if this has been discussed. I only know of guys running them in a big single setup. But, what would the pros and cons be in a twin setup? Which charger would you put it on and why? Would it work best in a 66/80 or bigger setup or a smaller 63/75?

I think it would be really difficult to tune in a wastegated setup, madmike was running a gate/spool flange/467 setup and the gate and spool flange were constantly fighting each other..

I ran one on the primary of my 66 over 80 twin setup.

I used a pressure switch and solenoid to control when it opened...did not like the spring idea....pressure switches can be set perfect...springs are not so accurate.

...was not worth it in a twin set up....maybe if I had used it on a GT5591 or bigger it would be worth it...but not on an 80 with a 1.32 housing. Even my little 6.0L Ford can drive the piss outta that.

I was going to use it when I use the 67 as a primary, but was advised against it for many reasons. Most of which I can't remember, but they made sense at the time LOL

I've thought about trying one on my secondary(63/68), since its t4, but not sure if its worth the time and $. And like newsmoke said seems like it would be a PITA to get setup right. It spool pretty good as is but would be nice to have more response on the bottom end.
:pop:

Would be a good idea if for example you had a race compound setup and wanted to then have fun street driving the truck. Or if your current setup is spooled at the track with nitrous. Drop the nitrous and use the flange to spool. It does make that big of a difference..... My current single can not be spooled on fuel at all. Add flange and it spools fairly easily.

And that is what I told the guy that bought mine...."On a big single, it would work awesome."

Back