Spoolaid Installed on 2nd Gen

VMacKenzie

I decided to order the Spoolaid Pusher Intakes sells for the VP44 rigs and try it out: 1998.5 - 2002 24-Valve Cummins

This is the same as the common rail setup except it only feeds into the rear because of the APPS & VP44 blocking the way. Installation went well with the only gripe being the DOM tube that you pound into the head was a bit long which resulted in the feed tube being pressed up against the firewall somewhat. If I had realized that I could have cut about 1 to 1.5" off the DOM tube and should have averted that issue. Another small hitch was the fuel return line from the head was somewhat in the way so I had to bend it a bit (ratchet strap trick).

My truck setup at present is a Garrett GT3788R BB turbo (GT37 Stage 3), Polydyn header and van Aaken box. 75hp sticks coming next. It made a noticeable improvement with spool especially going from the initial 2-3psi to 8-10psi quicker than before. This is a turbo that Turbo Re-Source says not to run without a cam, well I don't have a cam and the Spool Aid helps make up for it until I install the cam.

Getting on it the Spoolaid has taken easily 75F off max EGT.

Bang for buck isn't that great being you only get about 1/2 to 2/3 the benefit you do with the 3rd Gen kits but I think it serves its purpose especially if you are more heavily fueled or you've done head work without shaving the intake plenum. Also with some basic welding/fabricating skill it wouldn't be that difficult to mock up your own, just google DOM tubing (.093" wall thickness) and 2" silicon boots & clamps and 2" mandrel bent tube and short piece to weld onto your intercooler tube.

Some pics in my Photobucket album . . .knocking out the freeze plug was a bit of a pain, a little duct tape made a bigger hammer :p

[ame="http://s113.photobucket.com/albums/n228/VMac822/My%20Trucks/98%2024V%20Club%20Cab/"]98 24V Club Cab pictures by VMac822 - Photobucket[/ame]

SpoolaidInstalled4.jpg

Last edited:
They think spool is bad on a 24V, I have the same thing on a 12V haha. It's not that bad at all, sure it's no HX35 but it could be way worse. Still, I will be p&p and having a cam in it.

Back