Sporadic oil pressure?

JFlagg

Gun for Hire
According to my guage, my oil pressure is coming and going... Any way I can test that its actually pumping? Things to check? I really hope I don't have to pull the motor apart again... I have a new pump in it. :(

Slap a mechanical oil pressure gauge on it. That'll tell you real quick.

yup, find out whatever the fitting size is for the vacuum pump/p-pump feed line and put a temporary line on the block in one of those extra fittings and run it to a mechanical gauge. could be a bad sender, wire shorting out etc.

yeah a mechanical gauage, mine was doin the same thing I put a mechanical gauge and turned out to be the sending unit.

Well I ran through my options in order and after using 2 different senders, neither which worked, I went and got a mechanical guage at O'reilly's and tapped into the spare port on the oil filter housing. At idle I have a little over 30 lbs. I guess if I have to I could run that guage into the cab, but I'd rather have the factory dash one work, other than a frayed wire somewhere is there anything else that could contribute to this?

mine was doin the same thing i just hadn't gotten around to putting up a post asking. it goes from good pressure to 0 for like half a second and then back up to good pressure.

Well I ran through my options in order and after using 2 different senders, neither which worked, I went and got a mechanical guage at O'reilly's and tapped into the spare port on the oil filter housing. At idle I have a little over 30 lbs. I guess if I have to I could run that guage into the cab, but I'd rather have the factory dash one work, other than a frayed wire somewhere is there anything else that could contribute to this?

I would try and clean the terminals, it might be getting a bad conection.

I would try and clean the terminals, it might be getting a bad conection.

I did that... and swapped it out with a spare I had, nothin'. Currently my alternator isn't charging and my tach isn't working... I think its a signal issue from the cam sensor, so I'm going to work on that first in the stray chance dead batteries and no alternator contributed to the oil pressure sensor going wacko.

yup, find out whatever the fitting size is for the vacuum pump/p-pump feed line and put a temporary line on the block in one of those extra fittings and run it to a mechanical gauge. could be a bad sender, wire shorting out etc.

The other 2 ports should be 1/8" NPT.

I tapped a mechanical oil pressure guage into the spare port on the filter housing and I am getting oil pressure, guess the sensors or wiring is bad :(

I tapped a mechanical oil pressure guage into the spare port on the filter housing and I am getting oil pressure, guess the sensors or wiring is bad :(

That is nothing to be sad about. Better a bad sensor than a bad pump.

That is nothing to be sad about. Better a bad sensor than a bad pump.

Thats very true! Now if I could get my cam sensor issue figured out... guess I should actually work on it first. Spent all weekend pouring concrete in my basement trying to stop it from leaking so much.

Fixed the cam sensor issue and the oil pressure guage works now.

So what do you lack now to get it all going?

Got a weird clunk every now and then that I think is a loose blot or something that I can't find. Might be the steering stabilizer, its bolt needs 4-5 more turns to be tight. Got an aux. fuse block I need to wire up to clean up the nest of wires I have. No boost or pyro guage yet, the cut wires are still hanging from my missing A-pillar :(

Basically ALOT of little stuff :doh:

Oh, and I gave up on getting the adapter made for the fan clutch so it will work with the ATI, can't even reach the machinist anymore that was supposed to make it for me. So I gotta get a Taurus fan or two... which means more wiring! Man I hate that stuff...

Back