spring gates

GorillaDave

Aníbal Catastrophe
I am pretty sure I have seen these before, but for the life of me, can't find them now. Has anyone successfully built or used a spring and threaded rod type contraption to control an internal gate?

24vriviera made a thread about it, and I copied his thread in a post I made about he351 over an S475 twin set up... search button, and you should find both

Sent from phone

cpp sells them for $100. but if you see one in person you would be able to build one on problem.

Yep, cpp sells stainless diesels spring gates. $99 free shipping just ordered one for my twins yesterday!

Where did you guys get your springs? I feel like i need a stiffer one.

Lowes has some springs, fastenal has a nice selection. Found the spring I'm using at advanced autoparts. It's a spring for a door stop on an old car. I had zero luck finding a part number for a spring with the right stiffness. So trial and error it is.

Its pretty common for those with 6.5 diesels to build a spring gate to replace the factory vacuum operated gate. Most call it a turbomaster though. Try searching that on places like dieseplace.com. It will yield lots of examples.

Sent from my primeco phone

Just knowing an ideal spring rate would be nice. Mine is down far enough it probably doesn't let the gate open up quite enough for as much flow as it should have.

Well, I guess you could figure if you have a 1" WG and 40 psi that's 40 lbs of force. Now the WG has an arm so that gives it some leverage, not sure the length of it. They also have a short throw, maybe 1/2" - 3/4" total. I would look for a 40-80 lb/inch spring rate probably?

Just for a picture reference, this is the setup on the HX40 on my 6.5 currently:

temporary-59.jpg

But, I have less DP then you do also.

Where did you guys get your springs? I feel like i need a stiffer one.

I'm using a yellow spring out of a GM brake hardware kit for a 2002 Venture for time at the strip and its gates at 58 overall. For daily driving, I found a small spring in the random junk box in the garage and cut it to length and bent the end to fit around the gate arm, gates at 40~.

Mine has a inner and outer spring. Got them at the hardware store. Pretty simple setup.

Old stock gsk work well. That's what we used on my buddies cw. Gates it to about 40psi. In the picture we actually had a large gsk and the middle spring. We ended up using just the larger one

2013-08-21_20-40-54_582_zpsc2bbd3b4.jpg

Sent from the Chodster

Last edited:
You can also use a pull type spring. I ended up getting a stiffer spring and it runs 40psi with plenty of eye bolt travel left. This one maxed out at about 22psi.

2012-09-06_20-25-31_428_zps8b1b9dd0.jpg

Last edited:
I've been tinkering with a homemade spring gate on my K31 primary. I'm finding it difficult to get it to work, I had an original outer GSK spring...it wouldn't let the gate open, even when almost fully loose. I switched it for a TST light AFC spring, same thing. I may have to go shopping for something even lighter.
I guess the pressure in a primary turbine is pretty low compared to a single or a secondary...it doesn't take much of a spring to hold it shut.

spring gate

I have used/made the double and single spring stack compression style, as well as pulling style using the stock waste gate actuator and an additional random brake hardware spring. both work well...

compression style has way more adjust-ability when using a threaded rod, over the pulling style, unless you use an adjustable threaded eyelet for an anchor point.

Back