Spring wastegate for a Garrett?

AH64ID

Does anyone make a spring style wastegate for a Garrett Powermax?

I keep tightening the WG on my GT3782R and the first few turns got me from 27 to 30 psi, but I can't get above 30-31. I have hit 33 once towing, but only for a few seconds.

The DP is about 1:1 until 30 psi and stays there until about 2500 rpms then the boost stays still and the DP runs up to about 35-36 psi, so I think the WG is opening. My DP is measured on 1-3 and 4-6 has the WG.

I am able to make 30 psi at 2000 rpms when towing with only 24-26 psi of drive pressure, so I think I have enough fuel for more boost?

I don't get hot, peaked about 1310° near WOT towing at 70 up a 6% grade at 6-7K feet in elevation.. but a few more psi of boost wouldn't hurt and I am thinking a spring WG would help as the Garrett WG is near full tight.

I did that one night and nothing changed, which either means the actuator is weak or I am making all the boost I can.

I run a straight spring wastegate on the 341 on my twins. Controls boost great and real adjustable.

Anyone know where to find one?

This is what my WG looks like if it matters, this was pre adjustment. I have put a good 7-8 turns tighter on it and only gained 3 psi.

MotorWork024.jpg

If I remember right each .5 or 1 turn should equal approx 1.5 psi increase to the actuator. Can remember if I read it in the literature with my turbo or if that is what tom told me.

"The actuator can be adjusted to achieve higher boost and
each half turn (shortening the rod) will raise boost by
approximately 1.5 psi."

I can tell you that I didn't get anywhere near that much boost increase with mine. My WG rod is not about 2/3" shorter than the WG at full close so I have a bit of pre-load on it and still can't break 30 psi.

It may be normal, just not sure. I do plan to hook a camera up to the frame and see if the WG is opening. It just seems odd it will hold 1:1 or better until 30 psi then boost stops like it hits a wall and DP keeps going at high rpms.

Do you have a regulated air supply line to hook to the hose to see at what psi the waste gate cracks at? Mine is adjusted to crack at 41 but will only see 38 on the gauge sure to the psi drop across the ic. It seems that dp would drop if the gate was opening.

I need to get a new gauge for the regulated side, it reads 8-12 psi high..

I agree on the DP, but it's a divided housing and I monitor 1-3 for DP and the WG is on 4-6.. so not sure if I would see it open or not on the gauge.

Regulated air to see when the actuator actually opens.

The boost/drive pressure issue sounds right now that you mention you're monitoring it on the front bank. The front 3 cylinders are going to be providing all the pressure to drive the turbo.

Back