SSR for early 3rd gens

lnimmo77

Search never works
I just sold my PPE Hot and I'm gonna order the SSR. I've read eleventy threads but it seems very few have the early 3rd gen trucks. Anyone have some baseline start out settings they like on their 03's and early 04's? I'd love it if it didn't make a difference on the year, then I'd have a really good idea where to start. For the record, I got 105% Exergys and 64/80 twins. Thanks in advance, lance.

buddy of mine has one on his 305 555 motor and first time I talked to him on the phone when he loaded it and hit high level he about got giddy with excitement, he had been running tnt but said the way the power came on and kept cummin was insane.

buddy of mine has one on his 305 555 motor and first time I talked to him on the phone when he loaded it and hit high level he about got giddy with excitement, he had been running tnt but said the way the power came on and kept cummin was insane.

If you could find out what levels he's using, thanks!

Look up mine in the other thread...I'm pretty close to you with an 03 motor.
You have a little bigger injectors and one step larger chargers.

anymore info for us 03/04 guys. interested in selling my Beta 4.2 and gettin my hands on SSR

Well since there aren't many 2003-2004 people doing SSR I guess I will have to buy one. I won't be able to go crazy with until I buy a 63/68 E.D. turbo but give a week or two and I will start playing& posting.

Havnt really found a set my 03 likes all it used for is 2.6 puller. But only way to really tune is with dyno.

There are a bunch of us...most are the guys making big numbers or fast times and not posting...

I would start at stock settings and follow marcos instructions....its pretty fast focusing in the settings. I will share again soon.

No news from the early third gen guys yet? I curious on what levels there setting are at for power and street.

I finally got some time in on the dyno so I figured I would post up some numbers for others to reference.

Smarty SSR
Speed Limit 140
RPM High
Shift Limiter Off
Torque Management 1

Timing LL 13 HL 30
Rail LL 35 HL48
Duration LL 35 HL 25

2004 6 speed, DIY CP3, HX40/HT3B, DDP 90's, 80% water 20% methanol (can't remember what jets), PDR cam, Smarty SSR

First run 5th gear with water 613.4 HP
Second run 6th gear with water 653.8 HP
Third run 6th gear no water 605.7 HP

I was going to post the dyno sheet and datalogs but the files are too big.

You can see for sure on the last 2 runs in 6th gear the rail was draining for sure.

I finally got some time in on the dyno so I figured I would post up some numbers for others to reference.

Smarty SSR
Speed Limit 140
RPM High
Shift Limiter Off
Torque Management 1

Timing LL 13 HL 30
Rail LL 35 HL48
Duration LL 35 HL 25

2004 6 speed, DIY CP3, HX40/HT3B, DDP 90's, 80% water 20% methanol (can't remember what jets), PDR cam, Smarty SSR

First run 5th gear with water 613.4 HP
Second run 6th gear with water 653.8 HP
Third run 6th gear no water 605.7 HP

I was going to post the dyno sheet and datalogs but the files are too big.

You can see for sure on the last 2 runs in 6th gear the rail was draining for sure.

Very nice write up. Just wondering, what's the thinking behind the high LL duration number? Isn't it quite smokey? Mine is at 15. I'll wait on your repl, maybe I'll look into it. Thanks again.

Here's what I posted in the other thread. Version 1.5, TQ1, speed 250, high rpm and stock shift.

Went out and played with 1.5 today finally. Truck has had no interior so it was a little hard to drive.
Anyway...went through a ton of settings in 98* heat, heat index of 103 so I wasn't expecting to smile given the weather conditions.
Wound up at:
LLT 32, LLR 35, LLD 25
HLT 32, HLR 30, HLD 29

If I add more RP I get a bad rattle at idle in gear and when first taking off. I thought it was a timing thing but dialing down the RP and bringing the timing back up took care of it for the most part. I could probably drop it a hair more and get rid of it completely.

There is some smoke but you know what? It's a god damned fast truck and with my combo of bigger non-gated chargers there's gonna be...and I'm not gonna worry about it. It's only there under hard driving so phuck it.

I had to reprogram a few times with different TQ settings, on 3 it was fairly touchy but shifted 1-2 like a dream. Tq 0 wasn't touchy at all but would hang the 1-2 shift till forever then slam into gear. Tq 1 is my happy medium....nice pedal feel and juuuuust holds the 1-2 shift a hair longer than stock.

It's gonna take a hell of an improvement from 1.5 for me to change again....this thing has never felt this good. It runs like a raped ape and doesn't apologize for it. Holds 27,500 RP anywhere from 3/4 throttle on and slams up past 60psi on the boost gauge like the needle is scared of something and running away. Until I have the time to finish it up on a dyno I'm not touching it again.

Mods in case anyone needs them for comparison:

80% over injectors
62/71/14 over a 1.32 S478
twin pumps
maxspool 2 cam

PLus the normal associated stuff to make it work.

You're settings were entirely too much for mine. I can't get above 20 lld or hld, but it doesn't help that (which I came to find out for sure earlier) that my injectors are considered 150-200% by exergy.

And that's why virtually nobody's settings will translate to someone elses truck. A huge injector like that will use a much lower duration number than a smaller injector. It's dumping a ton of fuel already...no need to hold it open even longer.
I'd have my duration low and my RP high to help atomize the fuel with injectors that big.

No matter what though keeping the timing numbers close or the same seems to almost eliminate the feeling of switching from LL to HL in my truck.

That's what I'm working on! I had limited time last weekend to play, but found the best for smoke control was a modest setup plus running the pod on 75%. Hopefully I can get on Chris's dyno here in the next month and get everything right.

As far as the timing goes, I understand it's variable so saying setting X makes timing Y doesn't work but..... It would be nice if we could at least be told the maximum added timing for a given setting.

Last edited:
Back