stack socks

strokin6L

is there any company out there has makes socks or sleeves to slip over a mitered stack so that water wont get in it?

I assume you are referring to something like the below picture. I custom made those but you can find some on e-bay if you look for stack covers. Scheid has flat top covers, not sure about miter cuts.

StackCovers005.jpg

I assume you are referring to something like the below picture. I custom made those but you can find some on e-bay if you look for stack covers. Scheid has flat top covers, not sure about miter cuts.

StackCovers005.jpg

yeah this is something that i'm lookin for. Gonna hafta check around i guess. I know that there has to be a place that makes them for the tractor pulling guys cause alot of the tractor pullers around here have them. I'll hafta call a buddy of mine tomorrow and see where he got his.

There is a woman that makes them over on pulloff.com under the for sale tab. haisley has them and so does complete performance.

Do those have satefy strings on them in case you forget to remove them and they blow off? Wouldn't want to lose one.

Mine were so tight they would not come off if you forgot to remove and started the truck. I did it once and one slid up just far enough to get a gap in the lower miter section and the other staid on and was just pulsating.

I dont have stacks, but have been thinking about them, do you have to have a cover for them everytime it rains or just when its heavy rain?

I just bought some over the weekend from schied. I got an 8". The sock is a little snugg but it works great.

If your running 5 inch stacks a mickey thompson center cap fits perfect and wont blow off

A smart man might plumb the stacks so they were weatherproof.

If you place a larger section of pipe somewhere in the system that is between 0 and say 45 degrees off horizontal you form a "bell" and the water pours right out on the ground.

For instance, if the pipe feeding the stack(s) is 4" dia pipe, then at some point under the truck along the path from stack to engine simply have the pipe run through a 4 to 5" transition to about a 1' long section of 5" pipe. This makes a "bell" on the stack side of the junction. The engine side will remain 4" and slip inside this 5" bell on the stack side of the junction.

Now you have a connection that won't cause flow disruption, but will allow water that enters the stack(s) to freely run right out unphased.

A lot of equipment comes this way. Works very well.

If you place a larger section of pipe somewhere in the system that is between 0 and say 45 degrees off horizontal you form a "bell" and the water pours right out on the ground.

For instance, if the pipe feeding the stack(s) is 4" dia pipe, then at some point under the truck along the path from stack to engine simply have the pipe run through a 4 to 5" transition to about a 1' long section of 5" pipe. This makes a "bell" on the stack side of the junction. The engine side will remain 4" and slip inside this 5" bell on the stack side of the junction.

Now you have a connection that won't cause flow disruption, but will allow water that enters the stack(s) to freely run right out unphased.

I think your missing my point. I don't want water getting into the stack when sitting outside in rain or washing the truck...doing what you said still isn't gonna stop water from getting into the stack.

i need some. its raining outside now and i know when i got to start the truck theres gonna be a lot of soot drops all over the truck.

Garrett

THATS WHAT I DID ON MY TRUCK, IT HELPS, BUT IT STILL MAKES A MESS

I think your missing my point. I don't want water getting into the stack when sitting outside in rain or washing the truck...doing what you said still isn't gonna stop water from getting into the stack.

Forgive me. I assumed you wanted to keep the water that entered from coming back out and landing on your truck, by never letting it in with a cover you would have to install and remove each and every time you parked the truck. So I suggested a way of automatically riding the system of rainwater so it wouldn't blow back on the truck on startup. Didn't know the inside of the stack ever getting wet was the point of concern.

In that case have fun covering and uncovering your exhaust pipe for the rest of your life. Seems practical.

:hehe:

THATS WHAT I DID ON MY TRUCK, IT HELPS, BUT IT STILL MAKES A MESS

Charles...looks like your method still gets soot all over. I'd rather put a stack cover on the stack maybe once a week than spend time cleaning soot off of the truck. I don't drive the truck much, but when i do if it's rainin, how much effort is it really gonna take to put a cover on the stack and take it off? Not a whole lot. Like i said...i'd rather take a second covering it rather than cleaning the chit off.

Yes, i wouldnt waste my time doing it that way again.

I now use a crome plastin center cap to cover it.

Back