Stacking VS Standalone

nottanuff03

ok, throwing cost out of the window where does a person gain by switching from a stack option that puts the truck around 1,000 horse to the standalone unit? Or are the standalones more for guys trying to go above this? Just looking for a little education. Thanks guys

I think the main reason for the stand alone is for pullers to get more RPM. This way they can use a little slower gear to take off the line easier and not abuse the clutch, but still be able to hook the tires up easier off the line. With the added RPM you can regain your wheel and ground speed the you had with the faster gearing. This can also make it alittle easier for some to stay on top of those bigger chargers that require 4K+ rpms to stay lit.

With a standalone, there is no need for any stacking, or tuner.
The RPM deal is huge
in Project X Diesel the difference between 3500 and 4350 with the REVO race tune was 100 hp in the higher rpm range. With mods on the REVO that allowed 4800 rpms the power picked up to over 225 hp .
This was with a good ZZ head , manifold and small cam.

This same tuning on a stock head and cam lost power with both programs
With a good standalone of modified stock system, the additional cost would be offset by the fact that you can use smaller injectors , less pump , and less turbo to make more power.

I see what your saying with the added RPM, but I'm guessing as long as a guy stays in the 2.6 class where most keep it a 4500 RPM limit you wouldnt utilize this? or did i miss somthing? Also does anyone think that SMarty or someone similiar will do somthing to keep up? or is this kind of the last in computer mods? Thanks guys

I don't think this is the end for the stock ECM tuner world. Daily drivers and tow pigs will still be a hot market for the tuners we have now and plug in boxes. As for the performance world its hard to say. Eventually once all the bugs are worked out of all of these stand alone systems, and the end user friendlyness gets higher then the tuners we have now will not be completely obsolete, but alot less will be used. I see a big drop in tuner pricing with in the next couple years when all of this new stand alone stuff gets lined out.

Will these standalones be something that will be ruled out of the smaller pulling classes? Do they fall in the same class as p-pumping? Is rpms enough of a limitation for a class?

Another thing you can gain is reliability and a broader power curve.

Will these standalones be something that will be ruled out of the smaller pulling classes? Do they fall in the same class as p-pumping? Is rpms enough of a limitation for a class?

there are efilive duramaxs out there pulling in smaller classes i wouldnt see what the difference would be.

there are efilive duramaxs out there pulling in smaller classes i wouldnt see what the difference would be.

Exactly... you can't just ban trucks with standalones from the lower classes just because its obvious they are serious about winning. The Dodge guys can't help it their laptop programmer cost 10 times as much as the Duramaxes EFIlive. They, for atleast the next few years I doubt you see anyone running one in anything lower than 2.8/3.0... though, there might be a few 2.6 guy with deep pockets. I doubt it will trickle down to workstock unless someone who has it already wants to take it off the pullerand try it on there tow rig and whoop some ass, LOL

I know Terry Martin already has the Bosh stand alone on his 2.6 truck. He has a workstock truck aswell, but I don't know if it has the stand alone on it or not. Wouldn't surprise me though if it did.

Would the standalone sill be the "handsdown" and way far better programming then lets say a TNT/R and Dr.P stack or whatever guys would run that they would call the "best" stack possible?

Im in the 2.6 class and looking at a standalone unit for my 03 if things goes as planed i hope to have one real soon.

Would the standalone sill be the "handsdown" and way far better programming then lets say a TNT/R and Dr.P stack or whatever guys would run that they would call the "best" stack possible?

It all depends who tunes the truck, and how reliable it is. IF people get the software and start tuning their own rides, then who knows what could happen. Some people would blow up in a matter of moments due to lack of knowledge of the parameters and everything else required when rewriting the tune. just my $.02

With a standalone, there will be no need to offset the sensors readings, to achieve the results. With all of the people working on not only standalones but the fact that EFI and Diablo are moving fast in the direction of total tuning for the Cummins the market for hand held tuners and pressure boxes are going to be a thing of the past.
The tuners will become just like the Chevy and ford market , you will buy tunes , or down load tunes to install in your truck .

Back