Stainless Diesel Coolant Bypass

http://www.stainlessdiesel.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=71&product_id=207

Tried searching to find some information on this, but found nothing. Looks to be one of the easiest kits to install. Looks very similar to the Fleece bypass but works off pressure instead of temperature. Anyone ran this or heard about it?

The Fleece kit eliminates the rear freeze plug that is a common failure point and replaces it with the second thermostat housing. The Stainless kit appears to leave that freeze plug in the block and taps elsewhere to relieve pressure. The pressure relief may be enough to prevent the freeze plug from blowing out, but it is still possible...

I noticed that and really like the design of the fleece bypass, but the install looks like a nightmare with the trans still in the truck. The Stainless kit looks very simple to install and still effective

You can piece together a kit like that for 60 bucks, just instead of the spacer you would have to tap the coolant elbow.

You can piece together a kit like that for 60 bucks, just instead of the spacer you would have to tap the coolant elbow.

any drawbacks to tapping the elbow? also, wouldnt it be possible for the pressure to open that valve before the truck gets to operating temp and let coolant flow before the thermostat opens?

Last edited:
That's the way I did it on mine and a friends truck, no problems with the elbow for 2 years or so from both of them. Its possible for it to open before the thermostat does, but you would probably have to be turning 3-4k on a cold engine which isn't a good idea anyway. Even if it did open before the thermostat I doubt it would make much difference in the systems cooling ability.

I wouldnt be concerned about the cooling ability. Id be concerned that the valve opens before its supposed to making it take longer to reach operating temp

I've been running a 1/2 inch watts 530c (which is what it looks like that stainless kit uses) for 2 years and never noticed a difference in warm up time. The lowest they will go is 50 psi and i dont think you will see that in the head until you get over 3000rpm. Never tested it though

http://www.stainlessdiesel.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=71&product_id=207

Tried searching to find some information on this, but found nothing. Looks to be one of the easiest kits to install. Looks very similar to the Fleece bypass but works off pressure instead of temperature. Anyone ran this or heard about it?

Thats pricey considering what you get. Im with the guy that says you can build that yourself for a 1/4 of the cost b

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I've been running a 1/2 inch watts 530c (which is what it looks like that stainless kit uses) for 2 years and never noticed a difference in warm up time. The lowest they will go is 50 psi and i dont think you will see that in the head until you get over 3000rpm. Never tested it though

Hmmm, that sounds like the route I need to take.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Here is how i did mine, pretty simple.

Attachments

• IMG_3119.jpg
    IMG_3119.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 0
^^Looks sweet man! Where did you get that relief valve? I just have a ball valve on mine and I just cut it on right before I trip the tree...kinda a hassle

Edit..I looked them on Google. Looks like any major plumbing place has them.

Last edited:
I have to find pictures of mine or take some but I made mine similar. I ordered my relief valve from aquatrol iirc. I think is was a series 55. They will set it to whatever pressure you need and its a good valve that can hold up to the water and heat

I have to find pictures of mine or take some but I made mine similar. I ordered my relief valve from aquatrol iirc. I think is was a series 55. They will set it to whatever pressure you need and its a good valve that can hold up to the water and heat

What series valve did you use? 1/2" I assume.

I noticed that and really like the design of the fleece bypass, but the install looks like a nightmare with the trans still in the truck. The Stainless kit looks very simple to install and still effective

When I shot the installation for a Diesel World tech article (it ran in the August 2013 issue on page 144) the truck had the trans in and it wasn't too bad at all... Popping the freeze plug out requires a large prybar or driver to spin the plug in its bore, but other than that there is enough room behind the head to work, to install the thermostat housing...

Back