stall speed

Kick Start

Banned
Is there a way to figure out stall speed?

I would like to figure out what stall I have in my lilred truck.

How much RPM can you make while holding the brakes before either the tires brake free or the turbo fully lights?

If you can keep it in 4th gear converter locked without downshifting, lug it down and role it hard and see wear the rpm's flash to.

If you can keep it in 4th gear converter locked without downshifting, lug it down and role it hard and see wear the rpm's flash to.

The RPMs aren't going to "flash" anywhere with the converter locked.

Just power brake it and see what the RPMs are at before the tires have to spin, like said previously. Also, stall speed changes with the amount of horsepower your truck produces. (More power = Higher Stall)

2500 rpms and builds 20 lbs of boost before it starts spinning the tires.

The RPMs aren't going to "flash" anywhere with the converter locked.

Just power brake it and see what the RPMs are at before the tires have to spin, like said previously. Also, stall speed changes with the amount of horsepower your truck produces. (More power = Higher Stall)

You mean torque, right?

Stall speed will change with torque input. One that's loose for a set of twins can feel real tight if you switch to a big single. That makes it tough to figure out the actual convertor setup while its in the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
What's the rpm at 5psi boost when holding the brakes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stall speed has NOTHING to do with what you can hold on the foot brake!!!! That is a huge misconception, my duster in my avatar is the example I'll use (been through multiple converters chasing ET)

current one is a 9" unit that stalls at 4800, it will hold 3000 on the brakes. It's a 3300lb car, so think of that as relatively easy to move. Now lets say I put it in a 6000lb truck with big brakes, same motor and everything. It will hold more rpm against the foot brake.... does that mean the converter is now magically different? NO!

One way to get a close guess on stall speed is to go about 30mph in your 1:1 gear with the converter unlocked, smash the pedal (don't let it downshift) and watch to see what the tach flashes to before stalling out and having to work. That's a close estimate.

These are similar examples to what the guys at Coan Converters explained to me back when I first got into fancy race type verters, not just BS online

Back