Stamped Housing Vs Fab Housing

BlakeW

AKA a3ftgiant
Anyone know what kind of weight difference there is between a stamped 9" versus a Fab housing 9"?

I don't imagine it being a big difference. Spidertrax lists their 3" OD, 1/4" wall housing at 70 lbs. Stepping up to 3/8" wall (not needed in a strip truck IMO) puts it up to 80 lbs. It's been a couple years since I handled a bare OEM housing, but I remember it being 40-50 lbs.

I don't imagine it being a big difference. Spidertrax lists their 3" OD, 1/4" wall housing at 70 lbs. Stepping up to 3/8" wall (not needed in a strip truck IMO) puts it up to 80 lbs. It's been a couple years since I handled a bare OEM housing, but I remember it being 40-50 lbs.

A Fabbed housing can be built with Chromoly Plate and Axle tubes vs. a stamped steel one.Plus the fabbed one will end up stronger due to more bracing..........

A Fabbed housing can be built with Chromoly Plate and Axle tubes vs. a stamped steel one.Plus the fabbed one will end up stronger due to more bracing..........

I totally agree with you there. If you have the money to be swapping a 9" in that can handle some serious torque, you might as well do it right the first time.

Forgot to mention, Right now I have a 40 spline braced 9" stamped housing. I got it for way to cheap to pass up from a friend of mine. But I had been looking into chromoly fab housings before I got this one. I could sell this one and make some money to put towards the fab if its worth it.

Last edited:
How much power and weight will a 9" moser with 40 spline axles hold?
Lookin at gettin one but concerned with it hold high torque any info would be handy

Back