Standard key

dangerous06

diesel tech
Just picked up an 06 ram 3500 dually at auction and it has ONE regular key??
I thought these trucks had a chipped key? How is this thing starting and running with a regular key?

Just picked up an 06 ram 3500 dually at auction and it has ONE regular key??

I thought these trucks had a chipped key? How is this thing starting and running with a regular key?

They aren't chipped to my knowledge. Can't remember what year started the key fob on the actual key. My 07 has it for sure.

My 04 is chipped. I had an 05 that didn't need one. I had a remote starter put on the 04 and I think they hid a spare key to allow the remote starter to function bypassing the key.

If its a black key with no automatic doors and stuff on the key its not chipped. If its grey it has a chip in it

Last edited:
Good thing I said to my knowledge. I wasn't for sure... that means the one key I got with the fob all screwed up may not work.

The grey key from Dodge is $150 with it programed. If you stick a normal black key in that has no chip it will screw the truck up and lock the security. I had a standard black key cut as a door key encase I locked the grey key in the truck. As far as if you can use a fob on it. You would have to call dodge and see if its got the receiver. Ive got an 06 with the fob and a 07 and 08 with just the grey key

I actually just had to deal with this last weekend, lost my only key FOB.

like mentioned Grey key=chip and runs $100-150 programmed depending on where you go

It also seems like Wireless Key Modules very from year or package style until around 07 where i believe they are standard now

Yes you can switch to a key fob in addition to the plain grey key, I also got a new key fob made at the dealership $188 and they wanted $60 to program.

I ended up $400ish in the hole after everything was said and done though, I had a valet key cut when I bought the truck so I could at least unlock the door if I ever locked my only chipped key inside. well after I lost my key I called a local lock smith who said he could help, he was a straight off google special and didn't really know what he was doing but I want the truck back so I rushed and chose the first one I came Across. He cut two wrong keys Off of the valet key and said he couldn't program the truck which still cost me $50.

Then I bit the bullet and had it towed to the local dealership who said it would be no problem to program a new key. well they couldn't get my skim code after already cutting my FOB ($188) and said something was wrong and the truck wasn't communicating right and they were going to have to start replacing stuff until it worked. I don't like other people touching my truck to begin with so leaving it in the hands of the dealership made me very nervous, I told them I would look into my options and get back with them.

Longer story short, found a highly rated lock smith through a friend who came out and had my truck running in less then 2 minutes (charged me $100 for a plane grey key and programmed the key fob the dealer had cut for me). He explained that the first lock smith cutting the wrong keys locked up the security system. After 3 invalid attempts the system locked and needed 1hr of ignition on time to release the skim code which is why the dealership was having a problem and wanted to start replacing things. Sorry for the long winded story but hopefully this gives some insight to others in the future who may find them selves in the same situation. Even if the dealership says they can't do it, don't get scared its going to cost $$$ just try to get a key cut for the truck that will turn the ignition on and see if you can reset the system. Some have also had luck removing fuse #11 to reset system

And since we were just talking about this... the key fob I mentioned I had but was messed up (internals all missing).
Last night got kinda chilly so I went to start my truck the last inning of the football game, was going to keep my normal key in my pocket and use the spare messed up key to keep the truck running and go back inside. Having never used this key, wasn't sure if it even belonged to the truck. It started, I started to get out, truck shut off. I removed it, my normal key started it right back up and I decided to use the junk one for the door key lol
Luckily it didn't lock my truck up I guess.

And since we were just talking about this... the key fob I mentioned I had but was messed up (internals all missing).
Last night got kinda chilly so I went to start my truck the last inning of the football game, was going to keep my normal key in my pocket and use the spare messed up key to keep the truck running and go back inside. Having never used this key, wasn't sure if it even belonged to the truck. It started, I started to get out, truck shut off. I removed it, my normal key started it right back up and I decided to use the junk one for the door key lol
Luckily it didn't lock my truck up I guess.
Last inning of a football game? Wth where you watching?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Last inning of a football game? Wth where you watching?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Ahahaha! I just realized what I did lol
What a freakin idiot. I was driving when I typed that up. Guess I should focus on one or the other.

Back