Starter questions

CorneliusRox

Seasoned Rookie
I was wondering if there is any difference in the old 12V starters and the latest starters.

Does a starter that works with a 47re bolt up to a 48re, 68rfe, and the Aisin?
And do the newest revision ones work better?

I have a starter out of a 6.4L because I was going to see if I could swap parts to make it work, but there is definitely no easy way to do that.
I know Fummins guys run 6.0/6.4 starters because they have a lot more kick and that's what I'm looking for. I also noticed that a 24V VP cranks quite a bit faster than mine in the same situations with the same oil/fuel/coolant setup.

Just looking for ideas, or if anyone has run a non-OEM/Denso one and had success?

I'm almost positive the only starters that were different were the first gen starters. But I could be wrong.

Mean Green starters show different part #'s for each generation. Not sure what the differences are though. Hope this helps.
http://shop.mean-green.com/searchquick-submit.sc?keywords=1989+dodge

This thing does look like a solid aftermarket solution. $400 though...
http://shop.mean-green.com/2002-94-DODGE-59L-CUMMINS-MG7548.htm?categoryId=-1

Has anyone tried them? And I am assuming they have different part numbers at the break date of the 48re because even thought the flex plate/flywheel should be the same, I bet the bolt pattern off the housing is slightly different. Probably the same internals.

Napas starters have a life time free replacement or did anyway

Yeah, and I am not worried about life so much, My first one lasted about 255000 miles and most of it in the UP of Michigan in really cold weather, so it got a workout every morning.
I am more concerned with performance. When it is really cold I have to hit my grid heater a few times and crank for a bit longer than I'd like due to it turning over pretty slow. I know 6.0/6.4L starters crank way faster when in the same temperature, and I figure a 6.0L being HEUI would have to push more oil than a Cummins.

Why not just have the stock one rebuilt at a local shop?

Back