Starting 12v

texastruck

Hey guys, I'm currently trying to start my 12 valve out of a '94 on the ground.

It's cranking, but is just blowing a lot of white smoke out exhaust, nothing else. I cracked open the line on injector 1 to bleed the air out, still nothing.

When I advanced the timing last week, I followed the procedure given by Deboss Garage, and he says the engine turns counterclockwise:

Fastest Way To Set P7100 P-Pump Timing on a 5.9 Cummins 12v - YouTube

After I finished re-timing the engine to 17.5* (or so I thought), I stumbled across this video from Power Driven Diesel, which says the opposite of Deboss:

Power Driven Diesel Timing Kit Instructions - YouTube

I had apparently RETARDED my timing in my first attempt, correct? So I opened up my timing cover again, pin timed my pump and engine back to stock, then followed the procedure given by Power Driven Diesel to advance to 17.5*.

I'm only second guessing myself because of all the white smoke coming out the exhaust and difficulty I am having starting the engine, both being symptoms of an engine with too low of timing.

Engine turns Clockwise looking from the front, Counterclockwise looking from the rear.

When you bleed injector lines, you need to crack at least 3 lines until fuel starts swuirting out or you'll have a lot of cranking to do.

Glad you got it figured out and running though!

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

I started the 12 valve a few more times yesterday. I noticed it cranks immediately, but then dies after a second or two the first couple of times, then by the third start it stays running. If I let it cool off for a couple hours, it does it again.

I've been YouTube'ing other 12 valves to compare the idle to mine, and I feel like my idle is a bit rougher than it should be. It might be all in my head, as this is my first diesel I've dealt with, but I was hoping one of you diesel gurus can give it a listen and hear if there's anything that stands out to you, good or bad.

I haven't played with the AFC yet, is that something you have to adjust after advancing your timing?

Here's the link to my engine start up (sorry for the portrait mode, girlfriend took the video)

Cummins 12v first start - YouTube

I started the 12 valve a few more times yesterday. I noticed it cranks immediately, but then dies after a second or two the first couple of times, then by the third start it stays running. If I let it cool off for a couple hours, it does it again.

I've been YouTube'ing other 12 valves to compare the idle to mine, and I feel like my idle is a bit rougher than it should be. It might be all in my head, as this is my first diesel I've dealt with, but I was hoping one of you diesel gurus can give it a listen and hear if there's anything that stands out to you, good or bad.

I haven't played with the AFC yet, is that something you have to adjust after advancing your timing?

Here's the link to my engine start up (sorry for the portrait mode, girlfriend took the video)

Cummins 12v first start - YouTube

I would say it's losing prime since it doesn't have a permanent fuel system yet. Why start it so much outside the truck? You know it runs and runs fine. Put it in something then deal with the problems.

I only ran it for about 20-30 seconds at a time. It was the first day I got it to start, so I was partly just excited to hear it run, and also wanting to make sure it wasn't misfiring or anything. Thanks for the suggestion about possibly losing prime.

Back