Steel fuel cell coatings

Nor'Easter

Gonna be making a 40gal. fuel cell out of 11ga mild steel. Truck will not be a DD and my area regularly sees 30 degree temp swings so I am a bit concerned about condensation getting the inside of the tank all nasty.

Does anyone have any experience with the various fuel tank coatings out there? I'm also not sure whether I want to go 100% welded, or have a removable section on the top to apply any coating I might use, to ensure total coverage.

Just buy a tank cheap coated no worries! A thousand different sizes out there check out Northern tool if you want a small tank! Some things in life are just better left to the pro's!

Just buy a tank cheap coated no worries! A thousand different sizes out there check out Northern tool if you want a small tank! Some things in life are just better left to the pro's!

I've not come across a tank that maximizes the space I have. Not looking for something small, exact opposite. If you can find me one that is 34Wx20L and 13" tall I'll hand over the plastic. ;)

Just figured someone on here has built a raw steel cell...

I've not come across a tank that maximizes the space I have. Not looking for something small, exact opposite. If you can find me one that is 34Wx20L and 13" tall I'll hand over the plastic. ;)

Just figured someone on here has built a raw steel cell...

You'll come up short of 40 gal with those measurements. With a little room, that's more like 35 gallons. Why not build it out of stainless?

I can't comment on fabricating the fuel tank itself but I can tell you when we pipe in the fuel line supply to diesel fire pumps we use 1/2" black pipe without any issues, and iirc the fuel supply tanks are not coated.

Call your local radiator shop, I had mine do a coating inside a tank. It was cheap and was done in a day. Held up really well. It was for a gas tank, I'd imagine diesel wouldn't effect it.

Call your local radiator shop, I had mine do a coating inside a tank. It was cheap and was done in a day. Held up really well. It was for a gas tank, I'd imagine diesel wouldn't effect it.

Thanks, I had heard of rad shops being able to do it but wasn't sure how well it works. Actually having a radiator built for me right now...

I built a custom tank in my truck and had a radiator shop coat it. been working fine for almost 8 yrs.

Back