Steering a welded front end

Cetane_addict

I am looking at the option of welding the dana 60 in the front of my dedicated 2.6 truck. The CAD is already removed, or I would open that to steer. Question is how hard is it going to be to steer in the pits with 1,000 pounds hanging off of the front and a solid 60?

With your front tire pressures down and 1000 lbs up front, it sucks balls...

My ARB got hosed up last year and wouldn't disengage. I think I went to 4 pulls like that.

Also, don't turn too short as you won't get the wheel turned back straight without lifting the front off the ground...

With your front tire pressures down and 1000 lbs up front, it sucks balls...

My ARB got hosed up last year and wouldn't disengage. I think I went to 4 pulls like that.

Also, don't turn too short as you won't get the wheel turned back straight without lifting the front off the ground...[/QUOTE]

LMAO I hate it when that happens especially when your tires rub bad.

I dealt with mine welded for 3 seasons, and finally got tired of it and bought a locker. It was the greatest thing since sliced bread to me.

If you have a little extra money to spend a locker is the way to go. Mine is welded with the factory CAD. And when it's in 4wd with 1000 lbs on the front and 18 psi of air in the ties it's a royal pain to steer, and if you're sitting still it's basically impossible. The one problem with having the factory CAD is if something fails, it's possible to be stuck in 4wd.

So like I said if you can afford it, the locker is the way to go.

Money is a little tight for that right now, and I may be looking into a gear ratio change for the 2012 season. Just looking to get by until that happens. Thanks for all of the info.

I've had mine welded for 4 seasons now. Yes it's a pain, but completely manageable. I hang 1250 lbs. Another way to look at it, the front locker will never fail to engage, which I've seen happen.

Welded, 33x12.50's on 12" wide rims, 1400lbs off the front :bang :bang :bang

CAD with a Posi-Lok cable FOR THE WIN!! :rockwoot: (still a slight ***** in tight spots)

Are you guys doin this with the cad and stock axles, or bigger aftermarket axles and still have the disconect?

This post title should be changed to NOT STEERING A WELDED FRONTEND!!! Mine has been welded for 4 years now and it is a b**ch to turn in tight spots and the worst is alot of times once you do get it turned sharp it is harder to straighten the wheels back out than it was to turn them the first time! But you get use to it and learn real quick where you need to swing out and back up and get turned while everyone else is sitting in line.

I used to have stock axles up front. But that didn't work out too well...

If money is tight, just weld it up for now. You now know what to expect. Once you get your funds saved up, put a locker in.

the other option that works well is hydrolic assit steering.. its way cheaper than a locker and allows one finger turning with locked, 15" wide boggers and 1000lbs up front.. I used red neck ram in texas and was about 350 with the box rebuilt and plumbed and all the parts..

the other option that works well is hydrolic assit steering.. its way cheaper than a locker and allows one finger turning with locked, 15" wide boggers and 1000lbs up front.. I used red neck ram in texas and was about 350 with the box rebuilt and plumbed and all the parts..

Any more details or pics of your hydraulic steering setup? Exactly what I would like to do...

Back