Steering box

Burningtire

Ok im so looking to upgrade my stock steering box on my 06 2500. Im looking to go to something better than a stock reman. There's been alot of threads out there but some seem older so looking for newer opinions and what not.

Seems my choices are
Redhead
Bluetop
Borgeson
Stock New big box.

Which one would you go with and why? Also redhead has the older box and the newer one. Also if the bigger box is the best do they sell bigger piece to go through the steering box stabilizer?

Whole front end is new minus the swaybar links and tracbar.

If you go with the new big box your brace has to be changed or modified. It moves the shaft closer to the frame rail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Had red head in my 05 and 97 , both were pos ! I put the new big box on my 05 and it has been great ! I modified the current box brace to work with it , not to hard to do .

I used to always hear redhead is the way to go but the more I've read it seems they're not that great.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I tried Borgeson based on positive internet rumbles and being Geno's Garage carried them. I tried their reman box on an 04 and it wouldn't work. They were not even a dodge box but some other brand. (Maybe deplhi) Holes lined up for the most part after reaming, but the box wouldn't sit flat on the frame like the OEM box, and the box wouldn't turn the wheels from full lock to lock. Customer service was a joke as well. No help other than we could send it back for them to test it. I wanted a different box, but didn't receive one. Same problematic box was returned to me and the fault was placed on the truck.
Sense my run in with them about this, Borgeson now offers a Dodge style box for direct replacement.

I bought a Red Head Dodge replacement box instead, installed and no issues at all. Still have the same power steering pump from when installing the Borgeson box, so my pump was not bad. Sense then I've bought another red head box for my 05 and no issues. Both trucks have 08+ steering linkage, 4wd, and stock-ish size tires. Red Head has earned my business.

Edit: Neither truck has a box brace. After helping a friend install one on a 3rd gen, his sector shaft seal always leaked. Scared me away from them all together.

Last edited:
I put the borgeson "quick ratio" on my 2nd gen, no issues but I hate how it drives. Pretty sure it's a chevy box btw

Thanks for the input guys. So seems no matter what company you go with it's hit or miss. If it's gonna be hit or miss I'd rather have good customer service. Anyone have a bluetop or know someone with one?

I have not heard of or am familiar with this brand.

What little interaction I had with Red Head customer service, they were great. Even while I was still battling the Borgeson box. They guaranteed me theirs would bolt up and work with zero issues. That it did.

We will be ordering a box from them for our 86 K20 farm truck.

Red Head has gone down hil;l recently. i had no issues with the one i had from them years ago though.

It seems that Blue Top is gaining popularity and is actually owned by an ex Redhead partner (likely the red head quality went down when he left...)

Wasn't it redhead that Lavon had he11 with the first dpc where he lost power steering?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

The guy with Blue Top used to work for Redhead, yes. I've had good luck with both. Last 2 have been blue top and felt great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I'm gonna give blue top a try and see how it goes. Everything is brand new except for the tracbar (which is tight), and sway bar end links (good also). Truck pulls to left so it needs a alignment but gotta order new cam adjusting bolts because mine are frozen.

Hopefully between the box and getting it aligned it'll drive straight with no play.

If you go with the new big box your brace has to be changed or modified. It moves the shaft closer to the frame rail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I am looking to upgrade steering boxes over the upcoming Winter, can you provide any more detail (or pics) about the modification of the brace?

Have you or anyone else checked out PCS'S new dodge box . I think Danny at dodge off road had a lot of good things to say about em. From what I've heard there the box to beat now.

im glad this thread came up, mine is starting to show a little play after 250k.

rough pricing?

Back