steering pump

soturi

just takled to a stealership parts department about power steering pumps. they want over $200 for the pump/reservoir/pulley combo (won't sell it in parts).

about as retarded as i thought it'd be from them.

but, he said something interesting - apparently there will shortly be a re-designed pump meant to replace the current design. anybody know anything about this?

also, anybody have part numbers for just a reservoir or just a pulley? hard to believe i HAVE to get all three...

hm... i just need a pump, i think. steering gear is a-ok.

anybody know what "acceptable" tolerance is for the pump pulley? i get about 1/8" in and out movement from the pulley when the belt is off... cleaned it up looking for the slow leak today, but can't quite pinpoint it. SHOULD probably replace the whole unit, but it'd be nice to figure out exactly what's wrong.

mine had the same play as yours did. Called a local parts store they had one in stock so i went to pick it up and it was no different than mine had the same amount of play in the shaft. So i didn't buy it. Parts store only sells the pump and it was 60 bucks

thanks much, cfite. i definitely have to replace the pump, but at least i don't have to replace the pulley too.

here's another question for anybody that knows:

after i turn the truck off i can wiggle the steering pump reservoir and hear a bit of air escape (like a seal gets broken). is this wiggle normal?

i know i have a leak in the pump somewhere, but i'm having trouble figuring out EXACTLY where it is. it's either the reservoir/pump joint, or the steel fitting in the bottom of the pump.

call me a cheapskate, but i'd rather not replace sh!t that ain't broke.

call me a cheapskate, but i'd rather not replace sh!t that ain't broke.

I agree to an extent because I believe in preventive maintenance!

I actually bought a power steering pump rebuild kit for my 01 from the auto parts about two years ago. Fixing to have to put it to use this week... Maybe they offer one for the newer 3rd gens?

IMHO its worth it for the whole 9 yards, you dont have to screw around with pressing the pulley on, and you don't have to screw around with a possible leak in between the reservoir and the pump. Also turns the whole job into about a half hour gig, if all the lines come off. :Cheer:

just did mine about a month ago got the parts store reman for $40, it took me the whole f#%$ing day to do it, well with other distractions. its near impossible to take the tank off without breaking the two quarter 20's off in the tank. i ended up putting the tank in vise and heating it with the heatgun till it surface started top melt and punched them out. if you can do this without melting the tank it self your golden.

i haven't seen much about rebuild kits for 3rd gens, Red, but i'll ask anyway.

bigstack - easy transplants are a big benefit... cj's story makes me think your advice is probably about right.

cj: i assume you mean the ps-pump reservoir when you say "tank". what are "the two quarter 20's"???

Back