Steering shaft differences?

JNewman92

Its Only $$$$$
So I acquired a 94-97 5 speed steering column for my 97 that originally was a automatic. Went to install it in the truck an found that this new column I have has splines on the column where the steering shaft connects, my old column does not. Unable to find any good information regarding possible differences an was wondering if anyone on here had any information. Only thing I found was that borguson on their steering shafts, they have a different shaft for the 94 model year and 95-02 is the same. So correct me if I'm wrong I'm assuming the column I acquired is a 94 style since as far as I know the the shaft in the truck currently is factory from 97? Any info aporeciated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thanks for the responses , I never knew 94 was the only year to have the splines

I had a Flaming River steering shaft on my 94. When I was building a 97 this winter, I ran into the same issue as you are. I was able to buy 1/2 of the u-joint I needed to switch from the splines to the D-style steering column shaft.

I had a Flaming River steering shaft on my 94. When I was building a 97 this winter, I ran into the same issue as you are. I was able to buy 1/2 of the u-joint I needed to switch from the splines to the D-style steering column shaft.
I'll probably end up just buying a new shaft for it like a borguson. Does anyone happen to know why they changed in 95? Issues with the 94 spline style versus the 95-02 ?

Back