Steering still sucks

CGD

My Dad's truck has the typical 2nd Gen. wander to it. We have replaced the steering gear box, upgraded to the 3rd gen track bar, and put on steering gear box stabilizer. The truck still drives like crap and is all over the place. My question is does a new or upgraded steering shaft help a lot or should we be looking at other things such as tie rod ends. Is there anything other trick we can do to help his truck handle better. Every time I drive this truck I feel like this :bang

You're problem is the fact that it's a 2nd gen. Sorry, but there's nothing helping that problem short of buying a 3rd gen ;-)

That's what I keep telling him but it just isn't in the cards right now to get a new truck, just trying to make it easier to drive for at least another year or two.

take it to an alignment shop, you have tie rod or ball joints worn out, let them asses it

Ball joints are good, we are thinking tie rods might help they have never been replaced. Thanks for the help guys I appreciate it.

I rebuilt my front end on the 2nd gen. Dss stabilizer,moog tie rods,steering shock,titan machine control arms along with 3rd gen track bar,and laser end links. Moog upper and lower ball joints and cheapo wheel bearings. It is better then new.

Double check your axle u joints. If one is starting to bind up from rust or worn out, it will make the truck wonder too.

Front End...

Mine used to wander all over the road. I work on a Naval Air Station and them MP's would pull me over - :mad:. At 30mph truck looked like it was being driven by a drunk driver. I hated that and decided since I'm practically buying this truck new - part by part - I didn't get better untill I stopped with replacing one part at a time. I broke down and did it right:

Borgeson Steering box and Sterring Shaft
DSS - Steering Stabilizer
XRF - Upper and Lowers
3rd Gen Track Bar and Mount Conversion
Oreilly's Hub assemblies
New Inner/outter tie rods - Moog
New Stabilizer Shock
HD Sway Bar Links
New U-Joints all the way around

Don't forget break rotors and a good set of pads while you're there.

It doesn't steer like a Vette but its damn near. I have a 6" lift with 37" Trail Grapplers and I almost never have to move my hand on the freeway to correct steering. The turning ratio is awsome and WAY better than stock. 15K after and It feels even better..

Last edited:
Mine used to wander all over the road. I work on a Naval Air Station and them MP's would pull me over - :mad:. At 30mph truck looked like it was being driven by a drunk driver. I hated that and decided since I'm practically buying this truck new - part by part - I didn't get better untill I stopped with replacing one part at a time. I broke down and did it right:

Borgeson Steering box and Sterring Shaft
DSS - Steering Stabilizer
XRF - Upper and Lowers
3rd Gen Track Bar and Mount Conversion
Oreilly's Hub assemblies
New Inner/outter tie rods - Moog
New Stabilizer Shock
HD Sway Bar Links
New U-Joints all the way around

Don't forget break rotors and a good set of pads while you're there.

It doesn't steer like a Vette but its damn near. I have a 6" lift with 37" Trail Grapplers and I almost never have to move my hand on the freeway to correct steering. The turning ratio is awsome and WAY better than stock. 15K after and It feels even better..

How much did all that cost? :lolly:

I did thuren crossover steering, thuren track bar, DSS brace, Rock Ram Steering bushing, and a new steering box. Truck still sucked ass to steer straight. Steering box input was the biggest problem I fought. That's what was always loose on mine no matter what I tried.

its all in the steering box

Agreed.

I had a couple different aftermarket boxes on my '98.5. They all were no better than the oem junk. Got a Red Head box out of Washington state and never looked back. Ive since put a redhead on my superduty too with the same excellent results.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

though the info is a little sketchy, ive heard its possible to put a 3rd gen steering box or a 88-98 chevy box in place

Agreed.

I had a couple different aftermarket boxes on my '98.5. They all were no better than the oem junk. Got a Red Head box out of Washington state and never looked back. Ive since put a redhead on my superduty too with the same excellent results.

How much do they cost?

Pcs was one of the first boxes I used and the sectorshaft seal failed within the first 14days. So badly that it emptyed the entire system inside if 30min after I filled it just to try and get home from work.

I recall the redhead box I got on my truck, was about $350 iirc after shipping across the border. If there's not a listing for your truck online. Just call them they have one for any vehicle. It's how redhead rebuilds boxes that makes them a superior product.

Thats just from my experience.

Last edited:
Pcs was one of the first boxes I used and the sectorshaft seal failed within the first 14days. So badly that it emptyed the entire system inside if 30min after I filled it just to try and get home from work.

I recall the redhead box I got on my truck, was about $350 iirc after shipping across the border. If there's not a listing for your truck online. Just call them they have one for any vehicle. It's how redhead rebuilds boxes that makes them a superior product.

Thats just from my experience.

It's funny you say that your first box leaked... My first one leaked straight out of the box. They sent me a new one no questions asked. But after posting that my PSC box was still holding up it seems as if I jinxed myself because it's gotten incredible worse since then. :doh: Im going to try to adjust it then see how long it lasts.

But I'm looking for a replacement anyways, but am going to research these below and go from there.

Red Head
Borgeson
ARG Steering

Last edited:
If you have a late 00-02 you can swap the 4th gen steering on, that was my biggest improvement.

Back