Sticky Water Separator valve

Marsms

Ok, I know I've been taxing the generosity of your folks knowledge already, but I can't help it...CompD is such an awesome resource (thanks of course, to you guys). I've got a problem. Fueled up yesterday, so this morning I cracked the valve to drain the water in the separator, and I couldn't get it to stop. With the valve in the open position, the fuel of course, can pour out. With the valve in the closed position, the fuel sprays out past the valve if I bump the starter.

Has anyone had this happen before?

Most likely some trash or a cracked O-ring, not much you can do but take it apart and have a look.

Mine did that when I first bought my truck. I got the parts at Cummins to fix it, was a couple O rings I think.. .been a few years.

I've never drained it other than when I change my filter, supposed to drain it when you fill up??

Yeah, they say every time you fill up, you should drain it (but they also say in the mornings, before you start the truck). I know most guys only do it when they change the filter, and that's usually when I do it, but I live in a small town and occassionally we get a rotten batch of diesel that has way too much water in it, so I like to crack it every time just to be sure...

Just the toggle valve has to come off to get at those o-rings?

Last edited:
I think there are a few screws, but it's been about 3 years since I did it so I don't quite remember.

Back