stimulus package = new turbo!

Todd W

Comp Diesel Sponsor
Well I guess I will be getting back 1200 bucks from the irs, and since it wasn't money I was planning on having I figure its time for a new turbo:cheer: So the never ending debate is which single for me.
I really only know a bit about BD's, HTTs and II turbos and will most likely get it from one of them. I have pretty much decided on a 64/71/13 or 64/71/14.
What I would like to know is how will the 13SS housing differ from the 14 housing. I have heard that it will aid in initial spoolup, is it a lot better or just a bit better and at what cost if any. How does it perform from 2800-3800 rpm. will it choke out when compared to a 14 housing? will either of these perform well at that rpm? Obviously if I get a 13SS housing I will be dealing with HTT. If I go the 14 housing I believe that the BD special and SPS64 are basically the same turbo, true? The special is only designed for 45 PSI is the SPS64 the same, what about the HTT?

At the same time I will upgrade my injectors, now these I know nothing about. I have read that the more expensive ones are worth the money though. So what say ye, DDP4's, more or less? Also timing recommendations will be appreciated.

Here is how the engine currently sits:
Pdr reground cam
afe intake
4" exhaust
.020 marine gasket
ARP head studs
60# valve springs
MAhle pistons with a larger bowel than stock
16.5* timing
4 GSK
#10 cam plate
boost elbow
gauges
con FE

Planned mods
ATS 3 piece manifold
Turbo??
Injectors???
Hx 40 down pipe.

This truck is my daily driver with very minimal towing duties hence the 64 over the 62 compressor wheel. I also plan on using this turbo in a future twins setup if that makes any difference. Hopefully that is enough info for some good discussion, thanks.

The 13SS housing will run right with the 14. The 13SS housing has huge wastegates(.95"), flow about twice of the standard ones(.625").

Since you have the 12V I would opt for the slightly smaller housing. It will help with spool up.

Cause it's the new thing man. LOL The stainless is supposed to be able to withstand 2100* versus the 1600* of the cast, it holds the heat in better for better spool, and the wastegates are dual 7/8" instead of like 5/8" so it controls it better and flows better.

I think that one of the big advantages of the stainless is that they can fit a 71 LDP turbine wheel in the smaller housing. I was curious as to whether or not the smaller housing hurt top end performance, apparently it may not.

I think that one of the big advantages of the stainless is that they can fit a 71 LDP turbine wheel in the smaller housing. I was curious as to whether or not the smaller housing hurt top end performance, apparently it may not.

Industrial can fit a 74 wheel in a 12cm cast housing. You can get a Silver 62,64,66 with a 12cm housing if you want.

The SS housings in my opinion are a GREAT option in a twin setup, because of the bigger wastegates. But in a single they arent needed.
JMO.

Industrial can fit a 74 wheel in a 12cm cast housing. You can get a Silver 62,64,66 with a 12cm housing if you want.

The SS housings in my opinion are a GREAT option in a twin setup, because of the bigger wastegates. But in a single they arent needed.
JMO.

That must be breaking news, as I haven't heard of them keeping a 12 housing from falling apart with a 71 wheel! Great option if it is now available and reliable!

Yes it is true! We have been making the .70 A/R (12cm) with our Silver series, Super Phat Shaft series and of course the Phat Shaft series. We also mill the wastegate ports larger also. This combo gives you the benefits of the Silver Bullet 62,64 or 66 along with the spoolup of the .70 housing. They are perfect for 2nd gen trucks that need faster spoolup. Thanks

I was just on DDP's website and they said that the 140 hp sticks need at a minimum a 66 compressor, has anyone had these on truck with a 64? I assume that they will be plenty of fuel for future twins?
would the 90hp sticks be a better option?

I was just on DDP's website and they said that the 140 hp sticks need at a minimum a 66 compressor, has anyone had these on truck with a 64? I assume that they will be plenty of fuel for future twins?
would the 90hp sticks be a better option?

I think you'll be fine running them, with a 64. And they should be plenty for twins, with the right pump mods.

I think that is just them playing it safe, Forrest had DDP4's with a SPS62 and he did 535hp and he said he loved the way it drove.

Shoot, I ran 5x.017" CDS's with my stock turbo for about a year! lol

the stainless can handle the heat and wont crack like a cast will and cools instantly unlike cast
best thing i found no matter what ppl say is to call your selected vendors and talk to them and go with whoever you feel is the most reputable and you feel most comfortable giving your money too and using their product
dont forget customer service

Alright DDP4's it is. Thanks for the feedback.
Just out of curiosity how would you compare the drivability and spoolup of the 64/71/13 vs the SPS62. i know the 62 is a smaller wheel but does the tighter housing and stainless make up for this in any way.

Alright DDP4's it is. Thanks for the feedback.
Just out of curiosity how would you compare the drivability and spoolup of the 64/71/13 vs the SPS62. i know the 62 is a smaller wheel but does the tighter housing and stainless make up for this in any way.

I just went through this. I ended up going with an Industrial Injection Silver Bullet 64. Brady from II recommended this turbo to me.
I would either PM him or call him and pick his brain. He goes by topfueler on here. He is VERY hard to get ahold of, I had to wait on hold for some time to talk to him.
He originally recommended the Silver Bullet 66. I told him I tow sometimes and he said the 64 would be a better choice since there isnt any surging issues with the 64. The 66 has surging problems at around 1700-2000 rpms he said.
He said he has a couple of customers running the Silver Bullet 64 on 12 valves and they have nothing but good to say about them.
I know alot of people on here will probably say that it isnt a good choice on a 12 valve, but hell I'm going to give it a try. Brady said if it doesnt work out he'll fix it.
Also, If you decide before the end of the month Performance Diesel Warehouse has a group buy going on. The prices they have are amazing. They are also a vendor on here.

I
just went through this. I ended up going with an Industrial Injection Silver Bullet 64. Brady from II recommended this turbo to me.
I would either PM him or call him and pick his brain. He goes by topfueler on here. He is VERY hard to get ahold of, I had to wait on hold for some time to talk to him.
He originally recommended the Silver Bullet 66. I told him I tow sometimes and he said the 64 would be a better choice since there isnt any surging issues with the 64. The 66 has surging problems at around 1700-2000 rpms he said.
He said he has a couple of customers running the Silver Bullet 64 on 12 valves and they have nothing but good to say about them.
I know alot of people on here will probably say that it isnt a good choice on a 12 valve, but hell I'm going to give it a try. Brady said if it doesnt work out he'll fix it.
Also, If you decide before the end of the month Performance Diesel Warehouse has a group buy going on. The prices they have are amazing. They are also a vendor on here.

I am really glad you responded. I talked to a guy at II a while ago and he recomended the phat shaft 62, I was not interested in talking to him any longer. I am going to try to get in touch with brady and talk to him about the silver 64. How soon will it be on your truck? I would really love some feedback on that turbo. Just out of curiostiy did you ever consider the 64/71/13SS and if so what persuaded you that the silver was better?

also you gotta take into consideration that tony597fitter has a ported head!

Good point, I have a cam which should help, but probably not as much as the ported head.

Back