Stock intercoolers Junk?

oldblue116

The welds on my stock intercooler are terrible. The welds on the front are not even fused to both pieces.:nail: Im not sure weather this could be a boost leak or not, but i wanted to hear some responses from anyone else. Hows the quality of everyone elses. How often do the stockers leak? Im going to buy a BD next weekend so its not a big deal, just curious if there was no quality control man in the intercooler department on the day mine was built. Thanks guys.

Pressure test the system and if it doesn't leak I would throw the money at a lift pump or trans upgrade. If your running the stock turbo I think a new intercooler would be a waste of money

Mine was leaking at the passenger side end tank. The local rad shop said they may be able to fix it, but I receded to upgrade to a BD unit.

Pressure test the system and if it doesn't leak I would throw the money at a lift pump or trans upgrade. If your running the stock turbo I think a new intercooler would be a waste of money

I already got plenty aftermarket parts I just do stuff backwards sometimes lol regardless I need a bigger one, I just figured the stock one would get me by for a while. Egts were fine with my little turbos, but I'm thinkin with this new s469 I will need it. Came across a 1yr old bd for $600 I think it's a good deal.

I haven't pressure tested many systems and not found leaks. Stock, modified or custom builds pretty much all the same story.

My stocker blew out where the plates go into the tanks on the passenger side. I recently upgraded to a bd

I am pickin up a one year old bd for $600 this weekend so I can't pas it up or I would look at other brands

If you take a stock 2nd gen intercooler and cut the tank off you will see that the tubes are basically glued in and not welded, that is why they fail and almost always on the pass side bottom where it is the hottest.

Jim

Very good info^ if I were to sell the stocker how much do you guys think I could get for it? If it's not worth much I will cut it open and take a look at it first hand. Then I will have something to practice tig welding on and sell it once I'm done.LOL

Good choice, after blowing out two stockers I went BD and it works well. Stronger, heavier, and my towing EGT's are lower and easier to control. $600 is a steal.

-Dustin-

Back