Storm Block????

cjncummins

Has anyone ever heard of a storm block? From what i have heard, the storm blocks have 14mm main bolts. I was wondering if this is true,

storm blocks are what was used with the 24 valve engines (98-up) and they have the smaller 12mm main bolts.

12 valve blocks are the ones with the 14mm main bolts.

Storm stands for

Standard
O/ring
Metric

And can be found in a 12 valve as well. Usually starting from the april build date and has 12mm bolts NOT 14mm.

...and they have one extra turbo oil return hole -> good for twins

Why do i keep hearing of the 14 mm main bolts?? I have never took a B series apart to date that has 14 mm main bolts....

I've had two 12V engines with 14mm mains. Got one apart right now!

I have been into 3 now and the current one is an older block with a single drain and 14mm mains.......no casing number on the left side.

Jim

I have all of the specs on STORM blocks in a word file. Anyone who would like a copy just PM me your email.

Storm stands for

Standard
O/ring
Metric

And can be found in a 12 valve as well. Usually starting from the april build date and has 12mm bolts NOT 14mm.
Straight Thread O-Ring Metric.

apparently i stand corrected, but i have had industrial b series apart ranging in year from 1987-2002 and i don't remember one of them being a 14mm main, was it just an automotive thing?

Too many to list. The 50 series should all be STORM. The little numbered Mexican blocks are STORM.

From what i have seen first gen engines had one oil drain and 14mm mains, you can also find 14mm mains in early 2d gens. I was allway under the empression that if the engine had one oil drain it should have 14mm mains... ???

Strange my Cummins books says otherwise.

Oh well.

very strange...

how are you going to have Standard and Metric threads on the same fitting? :D

they're straight threads vs. pipe thread, they use an o-ring to seal, and it's a metric thread :)

so if you have two oil drains you have a strom block?

Back