Strange sound coming from turbo area

Dbordenb

There is a sound that is almost like baseball cards in bike spokes coming from what seems to be the turbo on my pickup. The sound only happens when in gear and it starts to build boost. Light acceleration does not produce the sound and when in park or neutral it does not happen.

Does this sound like a bad turbo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See if you have side to side or in and out play on the wheel by removing the intake and pushing on the nut on the wheel. Sounds like it might be time for a new charger.

See if you have side to side or in and out play on the wheel by removing the intake and pushing on the nut on the wheel. Sounds like it might be time for a new charger.

There is a little big of side to side play but no noticeable in and out.

There seems to be oil on the bottom of the compressor housing and also on the oil drain bolts.

There is a little big of side to side play but no noticeable in and out.

There seems to be oil on the bottom of the compressor housing and also on the oil drain bolts.

Not enough side to side to hit the housing? Are the bolts tight on the oil drain? Oil inside the housing or outside?

Might look for a leaking boot on that side of the motor also, compressor side not exhaust side.

Also check and make sure that the bolt on the clamp and the clamp for the downpipe and the downpipe elbow are not broken, they do tend to rust and break.

Last edited:
Not enough side to side to hit the housing? Are the bolts tight on the oil drain? Oil inside the housing or outside?

Might look for a leaking boot on that side of the motor also, compressor side not exhaust side.

Also check and make sure that the bolt on the clamp and the clamp for the downpipe and the downpipe elbow are not broken, they do tend to rust and break.

The wheel isn't hitting the housing. And the oil is on the outside of the housing. I checked the oil drain bolts and they were tight.

I need to use my boost leak tester to check for a leak and I can't visually see a bad boot.

The clamp to the downpipe was loose so I was hopeful I had found the source of the noise but after tightening and test driving the noise is still there.

I've been wanting a new turbo but I'm afraid to just throw money at it if it isn't the problem.

I'll test for exhaust leaks this evening. Is there a boot that commonly causes a leak?

Like said earlier the downpipe clamps are a common spot. Also the exhaust mani gaskets (between head and manifold or between turbo and manifold) could be causing your noise.

Got time to post some pics?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Was finally able to get some work done on the truck this morning. I checked the manifold bolts and a good number of them were loose. One was very loose. After getting them all torqued to 32 ft. Lbs. the noise is now gone.

Thanks for all the advice on what to check.

Back