Street Driven 13mm guys

Tate

What?
For those of you running a 13mm pump on the street (RonA, Warpig, etc), whats your injector and DV combo? I got the truck running today with a CDS 13mm. Its got full cut DV's and DDP comp (8 hole) injectors, 18 degrees timing right now, 5k gsk, AFC is fully to the rear. Took it for a drive, it bucks something fierce when just trying to maintain speed, or accelerate slowly. It reminds me of when I first put the DDP comps in with my 215 pump, but about 3 times worse, and in all gears.

I want to tone down the fuel for now. I've got a set of 181's kicking around, I can get my hands on 191's pretty easy. Suggestions for injectors? It smokes pretty bad just getting up to speed, which I'm pretty sure is the DV's for the most part. I just want to get rid of the bucking. I added an extra throttle return spring, gonna move the pivot on the throttle lever at the back down a hole, so I'll have a higher pedal:throttle ratio. The truck is just toy right now, no DD duty. Just want to be able to drive it up to the dyno day next weekend without neck injuries.

As an interesting side note, my engine will run backwards at 18 degrees timing. Its eerily quiet, with smoke coming out of the air filter.

Might bump the timing up tomorrow. I had it at 30 yesterday, wouldn't start. But it was only 10C outside then too. Knocked it back and it fired up. Its only 5 minutes for a timing change now, so I might bump it to 22-24 and see.

The injectors I daily drive are F-1 mach 6's (converted by F-1). I have .024 DV's and my afc is set on the tight side. Right now I'm running 28º and all works well. When I first received the pump it had full cuts and a gutted afc. One phone call to Mark and I had a stock afc sitting on my front porch within a day. The only complaint I have is the truck lopes bad when in gear at a stop light. I think I'll play with the gov. springs when I get a chance. It daily drives so well that I just drove it to SDX 986 miles each way.

Warpig, what kind of fuel mileage do you get daily driving a 13mm pump?

The 181's will cut the smoke down alot. If the pump is set the way it came from CDS you'll probably need to back the g-springs off. Back them off one click and try it. Then another. You will have to re-set your idle each time you back the springs off. Mine is setup like Warpig's, 024dv's, tight afc, but less timing. Mileage runs between 17 and 19.

The injectors I daily drive are F-1 mach 6's (converted by F-1). I have .024 DV's and my afc is set on the tight side. Right now I'm running 28º and all works well. When I first received the pump it had full cuts and a gutted afc. One phone call to Mark and I had a stock afc sitting on my front porch within a day. The only complaint I have is the truck lopes bad when in gear at a stop light. I think I'll play with the gov. springs when I get a chance. It daily drives so well that I just drove it to SDX 986 miles each way.

What turbo setup is on the truck now and which converter/stall are you running?

What turbo setup is on the truck now and which converter/stall are you running?

SB66/S480 with Suncoast tripple disk.

I know the converter has something to due with the lope when stopped in gear. I had a looser conveter and the lope was minimal, but unfortunately the converter went south.

Last edited:
Im running 370 injectors and full cuts. It only smokey if i want it to be. My pump has full cuts also.

Im running 370 injectors and full cuts. It only smokey if i want it to be. My pump has full cuts also.

That's an awfully small turbo to realize any benifit from a 13mm pump, and full cuts just doesn't make it any better.

370's seem small for a 13mm too? Wouldn't that be pretty restrictive on the pump, causing premature wear?

I'll try messing with the gov springs today. It started and idled so much better than that 12mm I was fighting with, I was tempted to just leave them. It was nice to have it pull off in 2nd gear without use of the throttle, and still hit 4k with ease. But that will be on to-do list. Its got an absolute ton of smoke right now, my little twins won't clean it up at all just getting up to speed slowly. If I get this bucking taken care of, I can get on with installing the GT4202 as a single.

Warpig, what rpm are you idling at when its loping?

I dont drive mine on the street but i put it on just the way kevin set it up and it idles perfect at 700. I was amazed at how smooth it idles. When i have went on test drives, anything over 2k and it will start surging but mine was set strictly for pulling

Warpig, what rpm are you idling at when its loping?

Generally around 700-750, but it will dip to 650. Put it in nuetral at a stop light and it is smooth. Funny thing is that it does not do it when the truck is cold.

I was hoping a 5 spd guy would chime in, although I was hoping for more positive results. We discussed last night that most guys running the 13mm on the street are autos, which would help soak up some of the surging when not locked up.

When I was getting it running yesterday, at one point it was idling at 450-500 rpm, I was amazed that it was running, and how smooth it was.

My buddy bryce has a 13mm pump from area diesel with a 6 speed and he drives it all the time. He drives it to the pulls even. It smokes a bunch and holding steady on the pedal at low speeds it will get the surge going. Now once he runs over like 45mph it runs smooth. Mainly 2nd, 3rd, and 4th were it will get pretty rough unless you drive through it it by accelerating fast enough but that will bring on the smoke.

Back