Stupid IDI VE pump

pajamas

I decided that I'd use the old IDI head and pump to break in this fresh engine, because it severally limits how much I can abuse it. I also set the turbo to be all the way open and unplugged it so that it wouldn't be spooling for the first 3k miles or so. I bought this pump remanufactured, I doubt it has 22k on it, but I didn't make it 10 miles before it started acting like it was suffering from fuel starvation. So I ended up pulling the return line off, and no or very little fuel came out while it was idling(which is all it'll do). I have a little thumper pump for a lift pump that pumped through the injection pump just fine when I was purging the high pressure lines. Now it stalls the lift pump unless I open up an air vent. It also got a brand new fuel filter, and water fuel separator while the engine was out, and they aren't plugged.

My current plan is to put the VP37 pump back in it with the IDI injectors. I'm not sure if that's a good idea or not, but I don't really feel like swapping the head right now. Honestly I kinda feel like parking it for a few months.

So I was wondering if anybody knows what might cause a pump to die that quickly? I'm pretty much lost, and I don't want to ruin my VP37 pump.

A picture for your viewing pleasure. I pulled the pump out, but I'm not going to take it apart tonight, or maybe at all. I'm pretty sure it must have sheared off the two screws that hold the outer plate of the vain pump where it's suppose to be.
bo65RXQl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/bo65RXQ.jpg

Back