Subtle changes in the 6.7

dangerous06

diesel tech
Building a 6.7 and was wondering if anyone can name the subtle differences between the 5.9 and 6.7.
So far the Cam bearing is different.
The main crank bearings don't have the small plastic restrictor in the block.
The oil plug at the front drivers side is gone YES!! Never knew what the hell that was for to begin with!
Of course the head gasket has the steam vents.
Anything else I should be aware of?

I've heard the bore and stroke is different...

So far I've only noticed the plugs in the main bearings for the piston squirters, other than the steam ports. but I've only got the short block together so far. Life keeps f'ing up my build money.
I believe there is a difference in the fan hub and idler pulley, or something if that nature. I have one for a 5.9 and 6.7 so I'll figure out what works when I get there.

Water pumps have a different part number at the parts store... dunno if a 5.9 will swap or not

Thanks, Bore and stroke are different BUT RODS ARE THE SAME! and Yes the fan hub is smaller to accommodate the larger damper.
Better to use a 5.9 water pump the 6.7 moves more fluid which in turn builds more pressure in the system on High HP builds.
anything ELSE? What about the oil pump same or different?

Last edited:
Just found out the 5.9 oil pump does not fit in the 6.7 block?? Anybody have a part #

OK so I verified the 5.9 DOES NOT FIT #3957266
Thanks Klean that part # 4988801 supersedes has anyone here installed this in a 6.7?
The hole it sits in is definitely smaller on the 6.7!

That's interesting since I use an oil pump from a 12v to prime my 6.7 puller motor.

That's interesting since I use an oil pump from a 12v to prime my 6.7 puller motor.

I was thinking the same thing. I didn't have an issue using a 5.9 oil pump in my 6.7 motor I had. I'll try to dig up the receipts from Cummins and get a part number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I second the 5.9 oil pump do fit perfectly on 6.7, just helped out buddy with the swap.

I'll post a picture tomorrow.....I wonder if part of the old pump is in the hole?! Never seen one come out in pieces tho?! All the 5.9's I looked at had a beveled edge this 6.7 has sharp edge no bevel?

It must be a year thing after 2010 it changed! Found several write ups on this issue!

Just to be clear the new superseded # 4988801 is 200 thousands smaller in diameter than the 5.9 original # 3957266
THANKS KLEAN!!

4x4 drivers side motor mount is different than the 2x4 found that out when I tried to stuff it in! :LOL

Is anyone running the sound pads on the 6.7 or should I leave them off? I would think cooling would be an issue?!

Back