Such a perfect twist...

Limited

Slow N' Quiet
Weak azz billet output. Turns out the input and output were both twisted. FML, oh well a chance to upgrade I guess, both shafts are now the "300M" which I guess is better than the old DTT billets?

Billetoutputshafttwisted2.jpg

Shaft.jpg

How much boost were you launching with, and do you play with your lock-up switch all the time like Swole?

That's pretty impressive to twist that big output when the input shaft is physically so much smaller.

I launch around 20psi. I use the lock up switch at the track but not much on the street. I think the 5 Star TC and billet flexplate are partially to blame.

NICCCE! im never that lucky, mine always snap so i have no way home.

i too am a lock-up ***** tho

You should test it and see what it puts out on the Rockwell C, personally I think it looks too soft but a test will show a lot more than a picture. I had a "billet 300M" input shaft from a company who's name I will not mention that wasn't even 300M, it was 4140 that was hardened to 54RC.

Last edited:
Does the item to be tested have to be ruined in order to have the RC test done and a material test done?

Jake

Shafts are like 5 years old, but the truck has sat for half of that. Been twisted for a year now I just finally got to pulling it out.

Does the item to be tested have to be ruined in order to have the RC test done and a material test done?

Jake

To test the hardness it won't need to be ruined nor will it ruin the material. It'll just put a very very small indentation on the shaft and tell us the hardness. You can probably just walk into a local heat treat and ask them to test it, it takes just a few seconds to test it.

From the looks of the necking on the shafts they are either too soft or someone was doing too many 4wd boost launches.

If anyone wants to have something tested I can have it done and get a full print out. PM me for my address. My buddies family owns Heat Treat Services in Pontiac Michigan and he works in the MET lab.

I can also test the hardness in my lab at work we have like 5 or 6 rock well machines. I know I trashed my billet input shaft just over a year ago running about 550hp lock up hit at 55 mph in 4 wheel and pop went the input shaft. it also took out my suncoast billet tc as well.

Shafts that have a higher hardness are more likely to break from hard lockups or locked shifts. When that happens there's usually pieces that break off and take out the converter.

I would rather see one twist, than have a real hard shaft shatter and take out lots of other parts....

Now, should 550 twist one...maybe not, but depends on usage.

Chris

I had close to a 100k on my DTT input and output billet shafts with locked shifts and god knows how many 4wd launches and when I sold the truck everything looked great.

It was a sonnax input and I don't know who the output originally came from but both were ordered from DTT.

Back