suncoast loc-up controllers

Signal 73

#2 is #1
Anyone using one care to comment good bad or indifferent?
looking to use one to control the trans for better shifting at the track. I see ats sells one that is similar.

Part No. PL-TCC-TOW

proloctorque.jpg

The Sun Coast Loc-Up Controller gives you the option of programming Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) engagement and release speeds, or allowing factory computer strategy control.

Most factory computers release the TCC on lift throttle. With or without an exhaust brake this strategy reduces the effectiveness of engine compression braking. When the TCC is in the release mode it no longer has a mechanical connection to engine rotation. When in the disconnect mode the torque converter produces an enormous amount of heat with little or no engine braking.

Many factory strategies do not allow TCC engagement until very high road speeds. Many times this higher setting inhibits vehicle performance and fuel economy.

The Sun Coast Loc-Up Controller allows the operator to choose when the TCC engages or releases. This results in:
• Reduction of transmission and torque converter operating temperatures.
• Reduce wear and overheating of brakes.
• Improved acceleration and fuel economy.
• Program any speed you wish to lock. Program any speed you wish to unlock.

Sun Coast Converters Diesel Transmissions, Fort Walton Beach FL

Ive taken two of them out on trucks ive done trans's in. Both were causing truck to lock converter when pulled into gear unless you started in 2nd.

yeah i been looking a the ats one...i wanna do a brake on an auto cuz im tire of cooking the rear rotors..they smoke at the redlites even with the trailer brakes cranked

man..the ats has about 20 connections to make and the suncoast has a only maybe 2-3. and it engages at any and unlocks at any speeds..hmmm and its 200 bucks cheaper..hmmm...im thinkin i may be rethinkin..but it doesnt look like it will engage an exhaut brake like the ats does..but i dont have one yet and if i get one it will likely always be on anyways...

Can you select when the torque converter locks in all gears or? I just dont understand the principal behind it, and there isnt much info for dummies on their site.:bang

you can loc or unloc yer conevrter at preset speeds. depending on your valve body it will go as low as 18 mph befor unlocking. and it will lock in at just above 30 i think it said. also if you have an angine brake it will hold the converter loc in til a preset low speed and automatically engage the brake for you. some of them need to feather the pedal to complete a locked downshift but im not so sure that is a good idea in a panic stop...of the 2 the suncoast looks to be the simplest to use and install but it does not actuate the engine brake automatically like the ats does

just do the manual switch through the pcm or "mystery Switch" what ever you want to call it much easier and cheaper

jim what problems are you having now with shifting, did you get the overdrive problem figured out.

jim what problems are you having now with shifting, did you get the overdrive problem figured out.

WOT 1,2,3 shift at about 3300 which is ok but 4th will not shift at all when at WOT, went through the traps at 4K+ rpms. I did the loc up switch for 4th but have not had the chance to run it like that yet to see how it works, supposedly it will solve my issue.

just do the manual switch through the pcm or "mystery Switch" what ever you want to call it much easier and cheaper

cheaper not easier..its a hassle to drive it cuz yer off and on the button at every redlight unless ya leave it off whicj kinda defeats the purpose..full lockup will stall the truk

idk i bought my truck with a toasted tps, and have had a lock up switch since the second or third day i've owned my truck and thats over 2yrs ago, and i've left the switch locked maybe twice, but unlocked it long before it stalled the truck still.

any more info..i think im gonna git one...suncost model...pricing or input fellas
thanks
gary

I have the TS box. Works just as advertised, no problems here.

I don't use it much with day to day driving. I have it set to lock up the instant 2nd gear engages with my foot on the mat. You can set to default to on or off with the key. (Usually its set to off, but that feature is real nice to change come track day, then you never have to remember to activate it before a pass. ) Works perfect for how I use it.

It is done with speed input, you pick the unlock and lock speeds, it remembers and does exactly that. That's a positive and negative, IMO. You'd be surprised how often you run in OD unlocked at extremely low speeds, aka city driving. If you can lock out OD, its more manageable, but still a bit boggy the way I have it set.

I run a tighter converter, but the occasions I've used it towing it helps get things moving and up to speed nicely.

If I had my "rathers", the only thing I'd change (spoken with no idea of the programming involved, just bumpkin dreams) would be to possibly have a APPS input to the box that allowed one lock up speed for up to 75% throttle, and another for when you're really lettin her eat. Could be a champagne wish, but thought I'd toss it out there. $.02

Over all, good addition, easy installation, trouble free operation.

Just be sure to take your time with the wire splices into the factory harness. Do it right and you likely won't have any trouble. Dielectric grease and shrink tube are your friends.

thanks...who is ts? suncoast is 300 bucks..can i get it cheaper anywhere

TS = TS Performance. They make the Suncoast box and sell their own as well. As Scott said, same box.

Back