Suncoast stubby housing 4wd to 2wd questions!!

sltlytwkd

addicted
Does anyone have any info on the stubby housing Suncoast makes for a 4wd trans in a 2wd truck?? I picked up a used stage 4 ATS trans for cheap and its a 4wd with a billet output. I want to put it in my 2wd project truck and still utilize the billet output. I cant find any threads or much info on Suncoasts kit! Can the normal output shaft be used? Does it need a "special" shaft? I understand the drive shaft needs to be modified, but that's minor. No, I have not called them yet, I just wanted to hear real opinions. Thanks in advance! :pop:

The omega or whatever? I hear it's a pricy kit.
I think it's a big shaft, too

It's a different shaft and support and yolk. You can't use that shaft from what I recal

Darn, I understand its the support and yolk, I was unclear on if the shaft was actually different. That sucks. I guess ill swap the tail housings and run the stock 2wd output. Unless anyone else makes some kind of kit???

I have a new fully built 48re 4x4 tranny with the suncoast 2x4 set-up that I ran in my Camino that I'm not using anymore. I can take a photo Monday if that would help. I don't remember off hand what parts needed to be changed.

The factory 2wd output shaft has long straight sections that can soak up quite a few big shock loads before they break. If you're less than 800 HP, I'll bet you could get a couple seasons out of the stock shaft. If you're above 800 HP, it will hold for a while if you can avoid wheel hopping or shock loading, which is difficult on a hotrod 2wd. The billet 300m 2wd output shafts are available for around $800 if you want to simply fix it right the first time.

So a billet 2wd shaft would still be half the price of the Suncoast setup... Where do u get a billet 2wd shaft? I can't find much of anything!

Rusty at TCS arizona is the only one making the 2wd billet output shafts.. However you will loose the governor gear so no speedo.. If you go with the suncoast kit it only works with a re tailhousimg and speedo sensor.. So if your an rh model truck you will loose speedo there too. The suncoast kit uses a th400 roller bearing supported output shaft your easily 3k in it by the time you buy from them and then driveshaft yoke and shaft lengthening.

not to derail, but IdahoRob, wanta sell yours?
ed

Yes, I'd sell it as I'm not using it. Fully Build by Brad at Calvin's, same tranny I've been running for years in my drag truck. It's been totally gone through and refreshed. I doesn't have a VB in it currently. I'll have to figure out how much I have into the thing I've got a yoke and driveshaft also.

Rusty at TCS arizona is the only one making the 2wd billet output shafts.. However you will loose the governor gear so no speedo.. If you go with the suncoast kit it only works with a re tailhousimg and speedo sensor.. So if your an rh model truck you will loose speedo there too. The suncoast kit uses a th400 roller bearing supported output shaft your easily 3k in it by the time you buy from them and then driveshaft yoke and shaft lengthening.
I'm guessing I would have to call TCS? I don't see anything on their site. Is there any way to keep the speedo besides keeping the stock output? Aftermarket sensor somewhere?

I'm guessing I would have to call TCS? I don't see anything on their site. Is there any way to keep the speedo besides keeping the stock output? Aftermarket sensor somewhere?

I'm on the same page as you, I assume we could run a collar on the drive shaft or yoke for a electronic speedo signal.

Yes I agree. Just hopefully without actually buying a whole aftermarket speedo...

Check with dakota digital.

There is a cheaper method to get the speed..

Junker Method
Tape note card to the gauge cluster with following info:
2nd 1000rpm = 18.5 MPH
2nd 2000rpm = 37 MPH
3rd 1000rpm = 27 MPH
3rd 2000rpm = 54 MPH
OD 1000rpm = 39 MPH
OD 2000rpm = 78 MPH
OD 3000rpm = Big Ticket
OD 4000rpm = Jail
OD 5000rpm = Death

Yes, I'd sell it as I'm not using it. Fully Build by Brad at Calvin's, same tranny I've been running for years in my drag truck. It's been totally gone through and refreshed. I doesn't have a VB in it currently. I'll have to figure out how much I have into the thing I've got a yoke and driveshaft also.

sounds good, let me know
thanks, ed

There is a cheaper method to get the speed..

Junker Method
Tape note card to the gauge cluster with following info:
2nd 1000rpm = 18.5 MPH
2nd 2000rpm = 37 MPH
3rd 1000rpm = 27 MPH
3rd 2000rpm = 54 MPH
OD 1000rpm = 39 MPH
OD 2000rpm = 78 MPH
OD 3000rpm = Big Ticket
OD 4000rpm = Jail
OD 5000rpm = Death
:lolly::hehe: