Super Stock turbo

wrongway

I'm just throwing this out there. I've talked with a few people over the last few day's about the 2.6 turbo rule and racer participation. Just a thought now and please keep an open mind. I'm trying to save this category and I'm wondering this. If the turbo rule was changed to an off the shelf 66mm turbo would it allow more racers to compete in this class? I'm looking at this strictly to reduce cost and increase participation. Thoughts please, I need some ammo for a track meeting. I know it's going to get brought up and no, I don't really know how hard it would be to enforce. Thats where ya'll come in:Cheer: Gary

I think it would help it limiting the frame on the turbo will make it easier on the average joe IMO. intead of someone spending big $$$$ for a bigger framed turbo you will have everybody competing on a semi-level playing field. Just my .02

I think it should be what it was supposed to be in the first place. Off the shelf 66mm s300 turbo. That would level the field drastically and give the best tuner a bigger advantage. Even though the deepest pockets didnt win the race last year, it seemed like a contest as to who could spend the most money on a 2.6 turbo. I refused to spend big money on one. Luckily it worked. Arons truck had the cheapest turbo in the race I bet.

So now what happens to the guys who have spent thousands buying a specific turbo for this class . Put it on the shelf to collect dust. You made the rules I say stick to them or scrap the whole 66 class and run what you brung

So now what happens to the guys who have spent thousands buying a specific turbo for this class . Put it on the shelf to collect dust. You made the rules I say stick to them or scrap the whole 66 class and run what you brung

I am wondering where they all went to myself. Only one person has registered for Super Stock. What would it take to get that 6.0 of yours down here for a race? Seriously though, I haven't heard much at all from the Super Stock guys. Seems as though there is no interest in it. I'm just trying to figure a way to revive the class. We do have a run what you bring class, its called Pro Street.

I agree with Ashley if it is going to be a 2.6 class it should be an S-300 the way the class was intended before all the craziness started. I think it kept a lot of guys out because they couldn't buy a big custom turbo for it. I also think the weight limit should be raised. I think you would get more guys involved if you didn't need to strip your truck out to be competive to race. There are a lot of fast trucks out there in the 6500 to 7000 # range that would probably do it if they didn't need to make their trucks into strickly race trucks.
I also like the idea of 6500# no restrictions class if someone wanted to do that. I think that would draw alot of trucks that couldn't make the weight to be competive in the pro street class and it would be a fast class.

I am wondering where they all went to myself. Only one person has registered for Super Stock. What would it take to get that 6.0 of yours down here for a race? Seriously though, I haven't heard much at all from the Super Stock guys. Seems as though there is no interest in it. I'm just trying to figure a way to revive the class. We do have a run what you bring class, its called Pro Street.

Trust me I'd love to come down but my truck is in pieces right now lol. Lots of them. I'm having a hard time buying the parts I need now so it'll be ready for phoenix. Sorry Gary, best of luck. And good luck to the competitors

I like the s300 idea. It would most likely make the class a mid to low 11's class and more guys like me could swing the cost of the s300 frame turbos. Either way i like this class and had a blast watching it last year and want to see it keep growing

I think an 66mm s300 class would get a lot of interest because there are a LOT of trucks out there that already have that turbo. Just dont make it a "2.6", because a lot of the off the shelf 366 turbos wont pass the rules. And Bruce is right, move the weight up. Im sure a lot of people are not running the class because they dont wanna butcher their trucks. It was a hard decision for me and Aron both. And I know Bruce didnt wanna cut on his.

I say S300, 6500-6750lbs, double elimination. This was supposed to be a race for average Joe's, not whoever could afford the best parts. The S300 would level the playing field. If someone with deep pockets wants to enter a purpose built truck......great! The guy that tunes his truck by the seat of his pant has a better chance of hanging in there with him.

If you want to keep the total cost of ownership low, wouldn't an S400 be more durable over the long run, and roughly the same price to start out?

Like Glenn said, if you're going to constantly be tearing up S300s, your cost reduction effort is moot.

Last edited:
Ok then.......what is the cheapest off the shelf S400 turbo? If anyone wins a race and the person they beat disputes, the winner must produce their turbo to check the spec's on it. If you wanna come close to 100 trucks, there has to be a way of getting hot rod street trucks together with purpose built. Hell lets just say bone stock, no mods whatsoever then:nail:

S400 just opens up too many options. And then we are back to the big money turbos. We made over 300 passes on a Silver Bullet 66 from II back in 07-08. And we ran lots of NX also. Never blew it up. Its actually still going right now. So if someone blows their turbo, then they need to tune better. So it goes back to the original intent of the class.

I know a lot more interest in a S300 66 and bring the weight up. Average Joe race. Should bring a lot more competition IMO.

S400 just opens up too many options. And then we are back to the big money turbos. We made over 300 passes on a Silver Bullet 66 from II back in 07-08. And we ran lots of NX also. Never blew it up. Its actually still going right now. So if someone blows their turbo, then they need to tune better. So it goes back to the original intent of the class.

I hear ya, but the power being made is probably up at least 100 HP since then.

Secondly, does the S300 platform see that same kind of reliability on the bigger cube V8 engines?

Not trying to trash anyone's ideas. If you want the max turnout, need to appeal to the widest possible field.

Back