Super street suspension.. Coilovers?

Rule reads as follows.
•Tube chassis, back halved, 4-link, 3-link style rear suspension prohibited
(Note: Traction/Ladder Bars allowed)

I fully understand where you are coming from on the question of GDP style bars. The rule is rather loosely explained and could be interpreted a couple ways. This is why I called to talk to JJ in early 2013. He stated it to me as in heme-joints adjustable links. Not going to lie was a bit of a frustrating conversation trying to make sure we were both on the same page.

My original hope had been to do a ladder bar setup eliminating the leaf springs but keeping the stock frame rails intact but it just wasn't going to fly for the class from JJ's stance. The 2wd weight advantage of 5k for a 2wd is a pretty irrelevant number IMO hard to get one that light with factory frame. Your still very limited on tire selection as well.

SS class is a tough one I think for a 2wd to compete in hard enough for the 6k 4wd guys with some of the guys pushing the envelope in the class.

Rule reads as follows.
•Tube chassis, back halved, 4-link, 3-link style rear suspension prohibited
(Note: Traction/Ladder Bars allowed)

I fully understand where you are coming from on the question of GDP style bars. The rule is rather loosely explained and could be interpreted a couple ways. This is why I called to talk to JJ in early 2013. He stated it to me as in heme-joints adjustable links. Not going to lie was a bit of a frustrating conversation trying to make sure we were both on the same page.

My original hope had been to do a ladder bar setup eliminating the leaf springs but keeping the stock frame rails intact but it just wasn't going to fly for the class from JJ's stance. The 2wd weight advantage of 5k for a 2wd is a pretty irrelevant number IMO hard to get one that light with factory frame. Your still very limited on tire selection as well.

SS class is a tough one I think for a 2wd to compete in hard enough for the 6k 4wd guys with some of the guys pushing the envelope in the class.

Makes my curious how hard, if possible, it would be to get away with poly bushing adjustable ladder bars with only a single adjustable end on the upper axle arm for adjusting pinion angle only. I would think built like that with a set of sliders and forward pivot like the GDP would prevent the binding and eliminate the need for floaters on the axle.

So no heim joints or other forms of adjustable links? Can brackets be welded to axle housings or do they have to be bolted style seems like its open to interpretation by way wrote in the rules but looks as if jj added his spin to it?

welded brackets to the axle are fine. You could have adjustable joints but only 2 was my understanding.

I had hoped to do a ladder bar setup minus the pan hard and leaving the single leaf in place and going coilovers. Now I am leaning towards keeping the caltracs on 2 leafs (to start with) and the coilovers minus the springs at first and ether ditch the second leaf later adding the coilover spring of choice. Obviously it would be a lot of trial and error tuning the chassis.

Last edited:
IMHO the GDP ones are fine as the front leaf spring bolt is still the theoretical instant center. Where as the the other ladder bar setup that was shown, when used with floaters the leaf springs just become support, and the suspension motion is 100% controlled through the ladder bars, and now you have a truly defined and easily adjustable instant center.

So no heim joints or other forms of adjustable links? Can brackets be welded to axle housings or do they have to be bolted style seems like its open to interpretation by way wrote in the rules but looks as if jj added his spin to it?

No issue with heim joints, and adjustable links, it has to do with how the suspension is controlled. I don't see why you couldn't weld things to the axle or the frame.

Back