Supercharged Cummins

Well Crazy Carl. I've got a CR and I'm seriously interested in this. I too wouldn't mind just using an old M90 refurb over a S475. The old M90 seems more plentiful. The only MP90's I found were from Magnison. And I couldn't find a price on JUST the supercharger itself.

Seems to me it could be done for about 2,500 to include your piping, Referb M90, possibly an Ebay MP90, new S475 from FI, and a new Steed Speed T6 mani.

I really like the idea of this for DD and towing. And for the price it cant be beat.

Do the old M90's have the Bypass valve? I guess that's crucial in this application isn't it? If it doesn't, one could use a couple 1" npt 15psi pop off valves from Swagelok or something similar.

Last edited:
The 3.8 M90 is older design and shorter than the MP90 I used from a 05-07 mustang 4.0.

Huck- I ran a separate belt for the blower but the CR fan turns the opposite direction, I havent tried to do this on a CR, yet...

correction! :doh:

I'm thinking a 12 valve with a 4.0 mp90 over a s480 then over a s595. or maybe 475 with a Aurora 8k. just think power all the way from idle to 5k. if I run into some money I know what it will be funding

Do the old M90's have the Bypass valve? I guess that's crucial in this application isn't it? If it doesn't, one could use a couple 1" npt 15psi pop off valves from Swagelok or something similar.

You wouldn't want to use a pop off valve because you would lose your psi. I would use an external gate with a 15psi spring in it to route some flow around the sc.

So TurboLvr, if the CR turns backwards compared to a 24v/12v what do you have in mind to reverse the rotation? The only thing I can think of is using two gears to reverse the direction.

On a side note I already moved both my batteries to the DVR side to make room for triple turbos. But now that i've seen this I'd rather have the response of the SC.
truckbattery.jpg

So TurboLvr, if the CR turns backwards compared to a 24v/12v what do you have in mind to reverse the rotation? The only thing I can think of is using two gears to reverse the direction.

On a side note I already moved both my batteries to the DVR side to make room for triple turbos. But now that i've seen this I'd rather have the response of the SC.
truckbattery.jpg

Just a thought, but I would get some real cables made up sometime....you'll have problems with those cheesy ass clamps sooner or later. We make lots of service calls to throw those things away on diesels.

Chris

Sweet setup. I would really like to run something like this on my truck. I just think it would be different.

You got any pictures of your setup? Ide really like to do this on my fummins. What did you do for the bottom of the sc, where it would bolt onto the engine? Just bolt a plate onto it?

Last edited:
Pretty much but the plate is machined for the IC pipe and the mount for the head. Theres no rocket science to the fabrication. I found it easier than the first time I had to mount a S475 on an auto WITH the heat exchanger. At least the SC has no external oiling to worry about.

Pretty much but the plate is machined for the IC pipe and the mount for the head. Theres no rocket science to the fabrication. I found it easier than the first time I had to mount a S475 on an auto WITH the heat exchanger. At least the SC has no external oiling to worry about.

These are the reasons I like this setup Carl. A 12v setup couldn't be too much different I wouldn't think.

Pete- The only issue with the 12v is fitment of the tensioner assembly.

If I was closer I would volunteer my truck up for Fab purposes lol. I was planning on twins again like alot of others but this has my attention now. I have been thinking hard about going back to a single S400 with this new truck anyway. Maybe I will hold off until you have this kit ready.

Back