Surging Issues

Marsms

My 2001 Ram 2500 started doing something interesting yesterday. I was driving along, and the RPMs suddenly started fluctuating...I couldn't feel the truck doing anything, really, but my tach was jumping for probably close to 3 or 4 seconds, before I let off the pedal. Is that my lift pump starting to go?

Yessir. The only code that came up was high line pressure, and that was quite some time ago. For some reason my transmission didn't shift out of second, then went into limp. I shut the truck off and turned it back on, and everything has worked fine since.

Oh, also...I drove the truck to work and back today. No problems whatsoever.

Man its hard to say what might be going on here. So many things could be. Need some more details.

might want to replace the map sensor, they can cause hit and miss problems as they start to go out. process of elimination thats were i would start.

Yeah, actually, come to think of it...I don't believe I've ever heard of a map sensor doing anything irregular without a code...though on that same note, pretty near anything irregular should throw a code, shouldn't it? Unless it IS something like a bad tach (though I've never really heard of that being a problem before?).

Ok, it happened again today...and I'm beginning to think that maybe there was something with the high line pressure code. The tach started jumping, and this time I felt it in the pedal quite noticeably. Seemed like it was doing a bit of gear hunting, except that I was doing around 57 MPH on flat ground, doing about 1500 RPM...at that RPM, it should be well out of hunting mode.

How old are your batteries, and have you ever put a cam sensor in the thing?

The batteries are original...so 7 years old. Never had a problem with them though. This past winter I still had my truck starting in -45 with only the block heater plugged in. The cam sensor is also original.

Unhook your batteries for a couple of hours and clean your connections at the posts.

Whats this going to do? Unhooking the batteries?

I can understnd cleaning the posts.

Think of it like restarting a computer. This is cleared up several issues similiar to this on some local 24v's. Just something to try that doesnt cost anything.

Back