Swap 94-99 front axle in a 2002?'s

therabbittree

Any issues swapping a 1994-1999 front axle into a 2002? My 2002 is a cad axle any how. I already swapped to the 99 hd steering.
Idea is to get real ball joints .
Thanks,
Deo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any issues swapping a 1994-1999 front axle into a 2002? My 2002 is a cad axle any how. I already swapped to the 99 hd steering.
Idea is to get real ball joints .
Thanks,
Deo

I believe you will have to make you find one with wheel speed sensors, and not sure if those sensors would be compatible.

I know the earlier axles use the single piston caliper, something to consider. If the truck has 4 wheel abs or rwal. I also want to say the mounting hardware for the control arms is different.

My truck has a 94 axle in it. I would never suggest someone do it on purpose, been the biggest PITA to get parts far.

-Lower/upper control arms might have different sized bolts and different cam washers. I had to weld my washer on the axle then use adjustable control arms to get things to fit. The truck wants 16 mm bolts and the axle wants 14mm bolts. or something like that.

- mounts for steering dampener are different on early axlesm prob easy fix but I dont have time to mess with it currently.

- Brakes are different.

- bearings are different.

- Steering needs to have early t setup with late pitman arm at the steering box to make it fit. you might be able to mix and match parts to make it work, but I have not had time to get through it. Currently have washers spacing the nut enough to have threads to make it tight.

Overall way bigger PIT than it is worth for ball joints

You can swap all the 98.5+ brakes and hubs onto that axle and make life easier on yourself. Then you have a location for WSS's, and your rotors don't need to be pressed on with the studs.

The balljoints aren't great though, and keep in mind that the AAM axles on the CR trucks are wider knuckle to knuckle, so you'll probably have to modify your steering linkage.

You can swap all the 98.5+ brakes and hubs onto that axle and make life easier on yourself. Then you have a location for WSS's, and your rotors don't need to be pressed on with the studs.

The balljoints aren't great though, and keep in mind that the AAM axles on the CR trucks are wider knuckle to knuckle, so you'll probably have to modify your steering linkage.

A 2002 shouldn't have an AAM front

Dont do it....

EMF just released Upper rebuildable ball joints for the 00-02 and im sure lowers will follow soon.

If for no other reason you will absolutely hate the brakes.

Back