Switching away from amsoil

Dieselfuelonly1

I only put on about 7k a year and I called
Amsoil they told
Me you need to change the oil every year instead of doing extended drain intervals. They say after a year the additives go out of the oil and it needs to be changed regardless of miles. If that is the case it would be a lot cheaper for me to switch back to conventional oil and change it every 5k. I have 5w30 amsoil in right now and was going to go back to 15w40 conv like all my tractors and other trucks have. Do I need to worry about anything or have to do anything special if I switch? Has anyone done this before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I wouldn't worry. The synthetic / conventional interchangeability is a myth. You can swap back and forth if you want.

Sent from my flashscan v2

I swap twice a year. Run 5w40 syn in the winter and 15w40 Dino in the summer. Works just fine

Thanks. I just wanted to make sure before I messed my truck up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Not sure I entirely believe Amsoil. I would just get oil analysis done every so often to make sure it's within spec.

Last time I ran Amsoil, I went close to 2 years and over 25k miles. I never got an analysis done but I took the motor apart just after that lasted oil change and it was pristine inside after a grand total of 300k miles. Cylinder walls still had plenty of cross hatch and the bearings still looked near new.

I'm not saying every person will have those results but those are mine. If it helps any.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Last edited:
15-40

I run 15-40 new holland oil. Most of the oils are all manufactured in the same plant anyways

where do you live that you need to run 5w30? alaska?

I wonder if they throw new inventory away if it takes a year to make it from manufacturing to the auto parts store shelf............

I wonder if they throw new inventory away if it takes a year to make it from manufacturing to the auto parts store shelf............

They last longer is the bottle is not opened before.

where do you live that you need to run 5w30? alaska?

I watched a video on youtube where they let a few different oils (Engine, ATF, Gear Oil) sit overnight in northern Canada the temperature was like -wtf. One of them, I think it was AMSOIL, stayed in liquid form, all others were ice/molasses.

I watched a video on youtube where they let a few different oils (Engine, ATF, Gear Oil) sit overnight in northern Canada the temperature was like -wtf. One of them, I think it was AMSOIL, stayed in liquid form, all others were ice/molasses.

Yes most of Amsoil's fluid's are blended to pour well below 0*.

I don't buy into any of the elite oil gimmicks. I don't doubt their quality, but the engines were not built to require them. How many half million mile engines are out there? Most are were achieved with regular dyno oil. If you buy oil in bulk for your equipment, that is exactly what would be in my engine. If you feel like splurging then change it every November and run 5w-40. If the temps don't require it then 15w-40 is perfect.

Don't expect all oils to last while sitting for a year. And none of the filters, even amsoils will last a year. Get rid of the truck if you never drive it. Just a waste. Or spend an extra 100 bucks a year and change it after 6 months. I'm not exactly rich, but even I can afford that.

Last edited:
5w30 amsoil is good year round, its good for cold winter starts but it also gets better mileage and doesn't rob as much power in the summer. I've ran it for years on 10k intervals with an extended service filter and analysis. Always comes back great.

5w30 amsoil is good year round, its good for cold winter starts but it also gets better mileage and doesn't rob as much power in the summer. I've ran it for years on 10k intervals with an extended service filter and analysis. Always comes back great.

These always turn into some sort of pissing match. But 10k miles on Amsoil is a joke. I run 15-20k on Premium Blue 5w-40. If you want the benefit of Amsoil you need to run it until analysis indicates a change is needed. Otherwise you are pissin money into the wind, and any of the perceived mileage savings is also wasted.

Don't start none there won't be none Shainer.

Each have there own preference based on perception. I've seen all types of oils ran through these motors. What it boils down to is regular maintenance and using a decent oil filter.

These always turn into some sort of pissing match. But 10k miles on Amsoil is a joke. I run 15-20k on Premium Blue 5w-40. If you want the benefit of Amsoil you need to run it until analysis indicates a change is needed. Otherwise you are pissin money into the wind, and any of the perceived mileage savings is also wasted.

You have data that fuel mileage didn't go up?

I have friends going 25k, but I was only comfortable with 10k on my junk, but thanks for pointing out that I'm just a big dumb animal.

So, all oils are the same is what you're saying? It's just the longevity in which they last that differs?

Back