Symptoms of a leaking injector?

JariV

Business Owner
How do you tell that? Of course when it's leaking outside it's easy but how about when the nozzle is leaking into the cylinder?

I'd quess that's happening with several injectors leaking much. What if there is only one injectors leaking a little? Only visible on idle and only cold or what?

I had 4 injectors hung open, lots of white smoke and ran like crap above an idle. I'd imagine it would feel like a miss with one injector stuck.

Thanks Tate.

In that case I think I have nothing wrong with my injectors since the truck performs great and runs smooth. Just some haze but I quess that just comes with big DVs and big injectors.

best way to check for a leaking injector is to crack each of the lines one at a time if the engine sound doesnt change more than likely its a bad injector.

Thanks Tate.

In that case I think I have nothing wrong with my injectors since the truck performs great and runs smooth. Just some haze but I quess that just comes with big DVs and big injectors.[/QUOTE

timing and compression to :Cheer:

Jari, is your truck hazing more now, than it did with the .024 del valves?

Hard to tell really.

Sometimes they seem not to haze at all and sometimes there is some haze. I cannot tell where this originates from. But when they haze it's less than with 024s.

Jari, i had a set of Westons injectors with a stuck pintle. (which he replaced the whole set in about 1 day) and it acted like what you are describing. sometimes it would run great and no haze, and sometimes smokey and running a little bit rough. kind of an intermitant problem.

12valvetq,
I just want to be dead sure of at least something before I disturb Weston. It might be a stuck pintle but I will check whether Forte Diesel Fuel Conditioner helps anything. Just poured it in. I will also put in few liters of two stroke oil and if this occurs again I will ask Weston about it. I just wouldn't want to raise an unnecessary alarm.

12valvetq,
I just want to be dead sure of at least something before I disturb Weston. It might be a stuck pintle but I will check whether Forte Diesel Fuel Conditioner helps anything. Just poured it in. I will also put in few liters of two stroke oil and if this occurs again I will ask Weston about it. I just wouldn't want to raise an unnecessary alarm.

I understand... my stuck pintle was due to diesel fuel contaminants getting by on a fuel filter change.

When in dought have them tested!!I wasted an engine one time not knowing I had one bad til it was too late...

get a temp gun and shoot each cylinder on the exhaust manifold they should all be within a few degrees of each other and if ones not then theres your prob...i had a buddy with a bad injector and there was 40* difference between a good one and the bad one

I need your help now. Please take a look at these videos and read my comments below them. What will your conclusion be?

Cold Idling with outside temp 41F, no pre-heaters used
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUXX68ndJ84"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUXX68ndJ84[/ame]

Hot idling with same outside temp, normal driving for 15 or so miles, engine at full operating temperature 180F
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3uJMT93yYI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3uJMT93yYI[/ame]

#1 injector leaks outside very slightly, area around it is a bit wet but not much. I'm not exactly sure where exactly it's coming from but both the balancing tube small bolt and injection line big nut are tight. I tightened the big nut slightly more but no difference to anything, it was quite tight to begin with.

Measured the temperatures for all the cylinders with a temp gun. Measuring area: the small horizontal flat surface right on top of the exhaust port on the head, steady temps of 167-176F as a surface temp, coolest ones in the front, hottest ones in the back.

In the hot idling video the haze is pretty much non-existent but the haze is there. Cannot be seen during bright day but when it comes dark and I stop into the lights and somebody with bright headlights comes behind me the haze can then be seen. Not much, but can be seen when hot. When cold it's clearly visible.

Please, what do you make out of all this? I need your help, please.

Otherwize the truck runs like never before and it's almost scary how strong it pulls and how fast it lights up. Couldn't be more satisfied with the performance, enough for now for me, definately. 80psi is easy. No other leaks than the #1 injector exterior leak which is very small, headgasket is ok and no boost leaks or exhaust gas leaks

Last edited:
Forgot to mention:

Sometimes the haze @idle when cold is slightly less but haze @idle when hot it's pretty much always the same.

This was with a fresh tank of diesel and before that I made a strong mixture with two bottles of Forte Diesel Fuel Conditioner and three liters of good quality two-stroke oil into full tank and and drove the truck until the fuel level warning light came on.

My 5x12's do that with 181 DV's. And I can see it in the dark in headlights behind me also.

Thank you.

Your comments combined with Weston's e-mail confirmed me that this is normal behaviour. And I will get that exterior leak out also. Thanks to Weston and you gentlemen.

Back