T case snap ring

TheBigNasty

Project bish
I took the case apart awhile back, waiting on the overhaul kit + getting a press + life meant it sat apart longer than I'd like. Everything went back together no prob, so I thought. I have this extra ring I have no idea where it came from. Can't find it on any diagram, and it has no beveled end like most snap rings. I have no reason to have a ring from anywhere else though, so I can't shake the feeling it's supposed to be in that damn case. The bearing it's next to is the old input bearing for size ref. Tell me where I'm stupid.

AAE18B3B-1A48-4250-BF1A-F5DDB8E0ECC4.jpg

I've had a ford and dodge apart several times and can't remember seeing one like that unless it's some kind of aftermarket one?

Every bearing retaining ring and all is accounted for. I've been over it several times and finally went with "it must be from something else". There's just that piece of me that is going nuts not knowing where it's from.

Did you order new bearings? If so, the series of bearings used in those transfer cases (and many others) can be ordered with an external snap ring groove in the outer race. If one of your new bearings had that groove, the bearing would likely have been shipped with the extra snap ring. Judging by the size and shape of the ring, this is very likely what happened. If you want to measure the diameter and thickness I will go through the 271D I have apart on my bench right now and verify there is no place for it.

a6ebab3a8b53451b42fec567e7c8e963.jpg

a2094e29b64a199fbbe104d8c8345023.jpg

Last edited:
Well damn, now I remember. Yeah I got the overhaul kit. Thank you, I can sleep again. LOL

Back