Tach dead, no power, cam position sensor?

SSpeeDEMONSS

Still Learning
My friend's 01 has had the tach go to 0 and the truck will lose power, I haven't looked it up but they say it is the cam position sensor. Is that the problem? If so, can someone please post a pic of where it is so I can fix it for him. Thank you.

Garrett

Cam or crank sensor. Cam is buried behind VP going into timing cover, crank sensor will be behind starter.

Check all electrical connections, clean & coat them with silicone di-electric grease. Check for codes. Go to http://www.mopar1973man.com for full code definitions & diagnostics.
Agreed, the 01 only has 1 sensor & it is behind the VP44.

Ed

The cam sensor is nearly impossible to see. It is located between the vp44 and your vacuum/powersteering pump on the front cover near the block.

It's definitely a PITA to get to, took me 45 minutes to unplug mine. It's worth cleaning the connector and applying dielectric paste like yankneck mentiioned but more than likely the sensor has gone bad. It takes a metric allen key to remove the retaining bolt, around 4mm but not sure...it's a bugger to get to. Easiest way to find it is follow the small wire harness near the side of the injection pump. Remove the retaining bolt and the sensor pulls straight out.

Last edited:
very well said sir... a flashlight and a "mirror on a stick" will get you started but once you are in there you wont be able to do anything but feel your way around.

Back