Taking the next step... Unlimited driveline Q's

Just thinking outloud here...

So if I wanted to go to an unlimited driveline, here's what I came up with so far...

Crower clutch

What bellhousing? I assume a stock dodge won't work. Most pics I've seen show an adapter plate between the bellhousing and the block as well.

What hydraulics to use?

Profab Reverser

Profab Dropbox with quick change gears (are the 1" wide gears enough? I noticed they offer 1 1/4" and 1 3/8" now).

Modify driveshafts to fit.

Upgrade rear axle at the same time.

Should you mount the engine and dropbox rigid to the frame or can you retain/fabricate a rubber mount for the drop box? I wouldn't want to mount one rigid and not the other.

What else?

Find an organization you can hook with. I know around here not many places allow the big driveline.

I'm thinking maybe after this next summer, just going big driveline and running open class.

For the money you spend repairing a NV5600 that grenades itself (which hasn't happened yet), you can pick up a used reverser and drop box. If I upgrade before it lets go, I can sell it and the 271 to offset some of the cost.

I'm thinking maybe after this next summer, just going big driveline and running open class.

For the money you spend repairing a NV5600 that grenades itself (which hasn't happened yet), you can pick up a used reverser and drop box. If I upgrade before it lets go, I can sell it and the 271 to offset some of the cost.

I forgot that NW has the open class. Around here there just isn't much of a place for an open driveline truck. Ditch the 6 speed and get a 5 speed with the big input, but in some good axles and you should be good to go. Doesn't seem to be too many driveline eating tracks around here.

Ill see if I can find some pics. I have some from front to back on my truck. I think FIREDUP24V has them all on his comp. Can't find em. Drop box is mounted rigid. The bellhousing I have has the same pattern at a regular tranny. The back is machined off and the reverser is mounted to it. This allows you to use the stock adapter, hydraulics, and starter.

Browell Bellhousing, they custom make steel, aluminum, and titanium clutch cans to order, SFI legal. I'm sure Brian can help you out!

Ill see if I can find some pics. I have some from front to back on my truck. I think FIREDUP24V has them all on his comp. Can't find em. Drop box is mounted rigid. The bellhousing I have has the same pattern at a regular tranny. The back is machined off and the reverser is mounted to it. This allows you to use the stock adapter, hydraulics, and starter.

Cool, Pics would be Great....

Lynn

so you run like a NV4500 bellhousing with the back machined to accept a reverser? Like the one that's for sale in the classifieds on here?

C-ya

you probably have to run a SFI blanket if the housing isn't SFI rated right?

I would think so!!! Have ya seen a clutch come apart...wow...your ankle is right there! How about the spectators!?!? An SFI bell or blanket should be mandatory!!!

I would think so!!! Have ya seen a clutch come apart...wow...your ankle is right there! How about the spectators!?!? An SFI bell or blanket should be mandatory!!!

What I meant was that if you try to save $$$ by making your stock bellhousing work, I think you have to spend money on a blanket anyways. Seems better to just use a SFI rated bell housing.

I've never seen a clutch come apart and I hope I never do. You are right, your foot is right there...

The stock NV4500 bellhousing cheap and the blanket for it is like $400. The SFI bellhousing starts off at about $1600. I know what way I would go.

The stock NV4500 bellhousing cheap and the blanket for it is like $400. The SFI bellhousing starts off at about $1600. I know what way I would go.

seems that alot of people think the same as you Jerrod. Myself on the other hand...I find $1200 safe insurance in the event of a clutch explosion and being physically able to walk away from it at the end of the day (after cleaing out your pants of course!) For those that have never seen it happen...its not a pretty site and honestly, the only thing a blanket is going to do is slow it down a little, thats if it is wraped up correctly in the first place!

The way things are going up here (having organizations with Gassers/diesel together at the same pulls) which the gassers all require SFI cans on there clutch trucks...its only a mater of time before us diesels have to run them also. I would rather spend my money now than quick have to rig something up after.

Ryan

The Can and Blanket are both rated the same way by SFI. I feel just fine with mine on and the rated clutch.

Just seen one come apart this year, BAD stuff!!! Small pieces went into the spectators(no one was hurt!) The driver wasn't hurt eather, but very lucky. Another one a few years back the driver got hurt with pieces came through the floor board and got his leg and two people in the stands got hurt form pieces of the clutch/bell flying! Most of the ones iv seen come apart is cause of a cast flywheel! IMO this isn't a place to cut corners to save a buck!

Back