Tappet cover gasket questions.

nicks91cummins

So I'm currently in the middle of doing the tappet cover gasket on one of my trucks. Had some questions for you guys...

I planned on installing the gasket dry to the cover, and where the gasket sits on the block I was going to go with black RTV. I've read many different options but what do you guys recommend for the BEST seal first time around?

Also where does everyone go to get the IP o ring? I've been having trouble finding it for a reasonable price

And last question, does anyone know the size of the washers that are on the fuel supply and return of the IP? I dropped the pump to do the tappet cover gasket and I'd like to try and buy them in bulk instead of 2 at a time for $10$.02

Install the tappet cover gasket dry as a bone or you are going to be very upset with yourself. That gasket will slide on RTV . There isn't anything other than friction holding it back.

I use the yellow 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive to glue the gasket to the cover. Let it cure overnight then install on the engine.

Loc-tite aircraft gasket sealer. It's a distant relative to tar, and it seems to work well for stopping oil.

Alpha Beta Test Monkey
Guang-Zoo Turbo Systems

torque specs are your friend on this over tighten and it will push out and leak.. also if you use something to help seal make sure its tacky or you will have a bad time mkayyyyy

Back