Tappet Failuar???

REEDSTR

SHADE TREE TECH
SO I GOT THE ENGINE OUT AND WHAT I THOUGHT WAS THE CAM GOING FLAT, I FOUND OUT I HAD TWO NEW! TAPPETS THAT GAVE UP THE GOST AND SORTA CRUMBLED. SO HAS THIS HAPPENED TO ANY ONE OR WHAT COULD HAVE BROUGHT THIS PROBLEM ON, I ALSO DID NOT USE ANY ADDITIVE OR SNAKE OIL I JUST USED THE LUBERPLATE FROM NAPA AND FRESH ROTELLA 15-40 OIL AND DID THE FIRST START UP WAS 23-25 MIN AT 2000-2300 RPM AND THEN RE ADJ VALVES SO ANY IDEAS HELP ............WELL ONLY COMP D HELP NO CUMMINS FOURM HELP I WOULD LIKE TO KEEP THE COMPUTER DROOL FREE:thankyou2:

I have seen this one time. I believe that 23 minutes at Xrpm with a valve out of adjustment would cause this.

Zddp is pretty important for break in these days, kind of an insurance policy. There are lots of differing ideas on break in. In my opinion just start it up, let it run for 10-15 sec. then check valves. A lot of times wooden dowel can be trapped in the tappet which could sit under the pushrod. Once this piece falls out there could be a major lash issue. After readjusting, take it to 1500-2000 for 4 or 5 min. Retorque, adjust valves at this point while head is warm. Then go have fun.

Zach

Back